+ thirty-five +

Sunghoon

I watched as Hana drank her tenth glass of champagne. She rested her head on the table and started mumbling nonsense under her breath. Jinae looked at me with a worried expression before saying, "What to do? She's driving tonight. She can't be drunk."

I tried to act like I didn't care but seeing her in that state made my chest pound nervously. I handed my car keys to Jinae, "Can you go home alone tonight? I'm driving Hana to her house. She can't drive in that state. You can borrow my car and return it tomorrow."

She looked at Hana again before nodding, taking the car keys in my hand. "Make sure she gets home safe."

I stood up and approached the drunk woman, "Yoon Hana, let's go."

She didn't argue back and obeyed everything I asked her to do. I put her arm around my shoulder to support her as I led her out of the venue. As I made my way to her car, I rummaged through her handbag to search for her keys before unlocking the doors. I gently sat her on the passenger's seat before making my way to the driver's seat.

"Sunghoon," she whimpered. I widened my eyes before looking at her. A tear escaped her eye and she turned to the other side, facing away from me. I took a deep breath and turned on the car engine.

"You jerk," she whimpered again. "I can't believe... you're engaged."

My heart dropped at the sudden statement and gave her my full attention. "What?"

"You bastard. You don't even want to hear what I have to say," she mumbled again. I leaned closer to her to listen more. "What do you mean you had feelings for me? What about me?" She trailed off again.

Is she talking about what I said a year ago?

I leaned against my seat and ran my fingers through my hair, "You think I don't know what you did when you left my house a year ago? You kissed my forehead when I was sleeping. Why are you making it harder for me to move on?"

No response. I glanced at her for the last time and saw that she was in a deep slumber. I sighed and drove away from the venue.

I held Hana close to me as I pressed the passcode to my house. I just remembered I never knew the passcode to her house and leaving her outside would probably kill her. As soon as the door opened, I immediately brought her to the living room and plopped her on the couch.

"You're heavy," I groaned frustratedly before sitting next to her. She hugged herself and started shivering. I went to my bedroom to search for a blanket, her words were playing over and over again in my mind.

"You bastard. You don't even want to hear what I have to say."

"What are you trying to say?" I breathed out and went back outside, seeing her still sleeping. I put the blanket on her and watched as she breathed in and out peacefully.

"Hana-yah, why are you making it harder for me to move on?"

💌

Hana

I opened my eyes slowly and felt warmth spreading to my body. I put away the blanket that was on me and yawned tiredly as I stretched myself. As soon as my eyes were opened wide, I saw Sunghoon cooking something in the kitchen. He peacefully hummed a melody as he washed the vegetables.

I got up and approached him before standing across from him at the kitchen island, "Was I drunk last night?"

He glanced at me before fixing his gaze on the vegetables, "I couldn't leave you alone or you'll pick a fight with the people around you. Never knew you were the sloppy type of drunk."

I lowered my gaze and tucked a few strands of hair behind my hair, feeling embarrassed that I had shown my drunk side to him. He glanced at me again before his lips curved into a small smile, amused by my reaction.

"Congratulations by the way. You're engaged now. Which reminds me that we all are getting old," I said and chuckled to myself. He stopped cooking for a second and turned around to face me, "What do you think? About my engagement."

"What do you mean?" I was caught off guard by the sudden question.

"How do you feel?"

"I'm fine. I mean, you love her and she loves you. And Jinae is a nice person. She looks pure and sincere."

Lie. You're lying, Yoon Hana. You're not okay.

Just keep smiling.

"My parents introduced me to her. I had no choice but to agree. Didn't want to let them down. And you're right, she is sweet."

I nodded and avoided eye contact with him, hoping that he wouldn't see the pain in my eyes. "Just listen to them. Who knows? It would be you that is head over heels for her."

He turned back around before saying, "Go take a shower. You can borrow Na Jinae's clothes I have put on my bed."

"Jinae stays here?"

"She comes over sometimes."

My heart dropped as I made my way to his room. I closed the door and leaned against it before letting out a deep exhale.