+ thirty-eight +

"Do your work, Lee Heeseung," I sighed tiredly as I read the documents on the coffee table. He was sitting on the couch behind me as he slurped some more noodles. "You have assistants that can help you with the work. Why are you burdening yourself more? Have some noodles," he frowned and handed me the bowl he was holding.

I put down my pen and took the bowl before slurping the spicy noodles. Suddenly, the thought of Sunghoon crossed my mind. I recalled the moment he just left me behind at the volleyball court.

"You've been friends with Sunghoon for years already, right?"

He nodded and continued playing with his phone. "How is he when he's mad or frustrated?"

He let out a scoff before lying down, "He would give you the silent treatment. And would even walk ahead of you until you are left behind."

What did I say that made him mad?

"Nevermind. Just asking," I turned around and saw him slacking off again as he hugged a pillow. I grabbed the papers and smacked his head with them, "Go sleep at your own house, you jerk!"

"Yah! That hurts! You know I love your house because you have all types of snacks! Let me sleep here for the night, please?" He pouted as he still tried to avoid the smacking I was giving him.

I rolled my eyes and stood up, "Finish the work. I'm going to sleep."

"Yes, ma'am," he jokingly said before sitting on the floor and picking up the papers. He looked at me in surprise when I took his spot on the couch and closed my eyes. "You're not going to sleep in your room?"

"It feels empty and scary. And I'm keeping an eye on you. So that you won't finish everything in the snacks pantry."

He scoffed and mumbled, "You always think bad of me."

I opened my eyes slowly and traced circles on the couch as I hesitantly asked him, "What would you do if Ahrin suddenly wants you back?"

He stopped doing his work and put down the pen, "Why are you asking me this?"

"I just have a lot on my mind right now. If a person you used to love is engaged. And suddenly, she shows signs that she still loves you. What would you do?"

"I know you all too well, Hana. Is this about Sunghoon? What did he do?"

"Nothing! I didn't say it was Sunghoon!"

"Whatever it is, I just want to let you know that he was not okay when you left. He missed you a lot and I know he's bottling up his feelings by treating you horribly. But he's engaged and he looks like he's already happy. So if you still have lingering feelings for him, I suggest you stop. Think about Jinae's feelings."

"Alright," I quietly muttered before turning to face the other side.

💌

[ a few weeks later ]

I silently took a photograph of my parents' neighbourhood. Being there just gave me so much nostalgia. As I walked further into the place, I found so many beautiful places and shops I never knew about. My legs finally brought me to the familiar volleyball court that left so many sweet memories.

I slowly lifted my camera to my face and took a picture. My knees started becoming weak and I sat on the bench, admiring the place as memories started flooding my mind.

"Sunghoon."

"Hm?"

"Why do you always go to the court nearby my house to play? Isn't it further from your house?"

"Well," he cleared his throat nervously before saying, "It's closer to the house of the person I like."

My eyes lit up, "Really? Wow, I never knew Park Sunghoon has feelings."

"Yah!" he smacked my head, "I am a human after all."

"It was me all along," I buried my face into the palm of my hands and felt all the regret rising inside me.

"You jerk! If you didn't agree to Taehyun's plans, none of this would've happened!"

Well, if he didn't agree to it, he wouldn't even talk to me at all. "Park Sunghoon, you jerk! How can you leave me like this?!"

I hit my chest continuously and felt my throat aching due to the words that were struggling to come out. My tears trickled down until my eyes were red and puffy.

"I hate you for making me love you so much to the point I feel like a pathetic loser for liking an engaged person!"

"I'm not engaged," a manly voice answered behind me. I immediately stood up and turned around, seeing him smiling and chuckling at the sight of my crying face.

"Jinae broke off the engagement."

"What?" I muttered and watched as he made his way to me. He held both of my shoulders and smiled softly, "She knew I love someone else. And she wanted me to be happy. And I'm sure it'll make her happy too."

"Someone else? Who?"

"She's standing right in front of me, crying and calling me a jerk."

I sobbed and smacked his chest, "You bastard. You said you moved on!"

"And you said you moved on. What's happening now? Why are you screaming my name and calling me names?"

I pushed him away and left him behind. I tried to convince myself that this was all just a dream but it felt too real. He wouldn't come to me even if he doesn't have anyone anymore. He was Park Sunghoon. And what did I do to make him love me so much?

I felt him hugging me from behind, "Please don't leave me."

His soft voice made my heart pound. My cheeks reddened as I was flustered by the sudden gesture.

"If you leave like this, I'm afraid that it'll take me ten years to see you again. Please don't leave."

He released me from his embrace and went to kneel in front of me with both of his knees. "Sunghoon-ah, what are you doing?"

"I can kneel only for you if that is what it takes for you to know how deeply in love I am with you. I waited for you to come back for ten years. And how thankful I am when I saw you for the first time in the courtroom during the case of that filthy psychopath."

"Hana, I was too afraid to admit my feelings for you because I am the jerk that broke your heart and trust. But day by day when I keep seeing you again, it's driving me crazy how you were never mine. Please forgive me for all the things I've done. I really love you, I do."

Thunder started rumbling as raindrops fell one by one. I kneeled in front of him and cupped his cheeks with my hands, "Why are you in love with me? You are way out of my league."

"What do you mean?" He held both of my shoulders, "You're one of the smartest students in high school so you always have this intimidating aura around you. It was always hard to approach you because I'm afraid you'll see me as the dumbest kid you've ever talked to."

The rain started to get heavier and heavier. "I never want to see you cry. I'm sorry for making you cry all this time, Hana," he said again and lowered his head, freeing my shoulders.

I grabbed the back of his neck before pulling him into a kiss. He was caught off guard and held my face tenderly as he caressed my cheeks, slowly deepening the kiss.

I gave up trying to avoid him. I was tired. I wanted to let the universe decide what would happen if I just went along with it. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad after all.