Chapter Four

I walk down the hallway, making sure to stay quiet. I don't trust Moon very much, and Sun let me go back to the room they found me in. I walk through the room, the key on the floor. Everything is a bit messy, but I fix it within a few minutes. Moon had a whole investigation in here, too. The blanket is in my hand, soon back on the small cot since they had extra. I look around the room with relief and sit on the floor. 

The silence feels nice, but also a little overwhelming. I decide to go to sleep, lying down on the cot and closing my eyes. Soon, I'm awake but a little drowsy. Something woke me up. I look around the room, seeing the open door. Moon's not here, his eyes aren't glowing if he is. There's a little silhouette next to me. A kid. He's sleeping soundly, his breathing shallow. 

There's a groan from him, and then he rises. The boy looks over at me and smiles, at least until I open my mouth. 

"Aren't you supposed to be with your parents?" I ask. 

"I got lost," he answers. "And they didn't want me anymore, so they left me here." 

His smile returns and hugs me. The kid's strange, but I just think about how much Sun would like him. Aiden, the boy, is talkative and often switches the subject of the conversation every few minutes. I make sure he doesn't go too far, since he is my responsibility. The Daycare does have more stuff to do, though. And I just want him to be entertained. I'll just hope that Sun doesn't mind, and he doesn't. 

Sun's overjoyed and worried about his overnight playmate. Aiden stays right next to me but does play with Sun if I'm close to him. Then, I feel a tug on my arm. 

"Mallow, I'm tired," he says, Sun giggling. 

"Come on, you two, I'll turn off the lights," Sun replies. "Mallow, make sure he's comfortable!"

I walk over to a small area full of sleeping bags, blankets, and pillows. Aiden crawls under a blanket and lays his head on a light blue pillow. When he goes to sleep, I feel something on my shoulder. I look over and see Moon, I just look back at Aiden and don't look at him again. He's quiet but does try to start a conversation. I do surrender to talk to him. 

"I heard about your conversation with Sun," he says. "He was pretty excited about playing with a kid afterhours."

"Yeah, I could tell," I reply, smiling. 

*****

Word Count: 438