Chapter 45

When Eric got back to Ariel's room, everyone was gone and the sitting room was empty. He closed the door softly and locked it behind him. "Ariel?" he called. 

"Bedroom," she answered. 

He moved easily through the room, unbutton his shirt as he went and pulling it from his waistband. When he passed into the bedroom though, he froze, eyes glued to the bed and the figure currently laying on it. 

Ariel was lounging on the pillows with a book in her hand wearing... Shit, he couldn't even think straight to remember what it was called. Nightgown, you idiot. Except it wasn't the kind of nightgown's Eric remembered, because this one was just silk and lace and ended right at the top of her thighs, held up by two thin straps. It was a pale cream color that brought out the copper in her hair and made her eyes shine as she looked at him and sat up a little higher. 

"You'll catch flies with your mouth open like that," she teased, closing the book. 

He blinked, shaking his head. "Where in the world did you get that?" 

She shrugged, and moved the book to the nightstand. "In the wardrobe. It's very soft, and I wanted to be comfortable tonight while I slept. Stressful day tomorrow you know." 

"Uh huh," he answered. He stepped further into the room, tugging out of his shirt. 

"How did your meetings go?" she asked, watching him as he slowly undressed. 

He cleared his throat and shook his head again, too mesmerized by her legs to think coherently. "Fine," he mumbled. He kicked off one boot, and then the other. "Celeste doesn't hate me and my father said he was proud of me so a win all around I guess." He dropped his pants and stood at the end of the bed in just his underwear, starring Ariel down. 

She watched him right back, hands clasped loosely in her lap. "That's good. But you have one more meeting to attend. With me." 

His mouth was dry. "Regarding what, exactly?" 

Slowly she uncrossed her ankles and let her legs drift just far enough apart that Eric could see that the nightgown was the only thing she was wearing. His breath caught and he fought to stand still until she gave him the go ahead. 

"Our chat in the bathroom this afternoon. It was rather abruptly interrupted and I think it needs to be finished. Don't you?" 

Eric slowly climbed onto the bed, kneeling in front of her. "I don't know, I might have to reschedule. I'm not sure I have the space in my schedule." 

They stared at each other for a beat before Ariel cracked a grin and jumped forward, pushing Eric backward to straddle his hips. He only had have a second to smile at her before she kissed him, tangling her fingers in his hair. 

Eric continued to smile against her lips, sliding his hands up her thighs and over the sinfully soft fabric of her nightgown. He touched her everywhere he could reach, marveling at the soft feel of her skin and the sea salt scent that persistently clung to her, like the ocean couldn't bare to leave her. 

They kissed for who knew how long, and it was Eric who pulled back, gasping for breath. "Ariel, are you alright?" He brushed the hair back from her face, cupping her cheeks. 

She bit her swollen bottom lip, a familiar guardedness rising in her eyes. He swiped his thumb back and forth and brought her face down, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. "What's on your mind, love?" 

Ariel pulled back, settling back on his hips. She reached for his hands, lacing their fingers together. "I'm worried," she whispered, looking down at their combined hands. "I'm worried I've been overconfident. That everything will literally get blown to shit tomorrow and everything we've fought for will have been for nothing. Dreams turned to ash right in front of us." She sucked in a shaky breath and a tear rolled down her cheek.