Chapter 1

"Jolene, it's only five am. Why are you up so early?" Dad walked into the kitchen, grabbed an apple, then sat down next to me. I swallowed my bite and smiled at him.

"I woke up at three, ran around the block for an hour, took a shower, and made a sandwich. I must be in the company at six because we are receiving a new shipment today. Did you forget?"

"I didn't forget; that's why I am up. You don't need to go though, come at nine. Sleep more. You have already worked enough and increased sales in only four months. You deserve a break, Bambi," dad said as he kissed my forehead. I was twenty-six already, and he would not stop calling me Bambi. I did not mind the nickname, but it made me feel like a ten-year-old.

"Heck no, because I worked so hard; I deserve to see this shipment through. It is critical to the company's future. Besides, I want to pick a new watch to add to my collection."

"Fine, but I am driving. You sleep in the car."

"Dad, it's only a fifteen minutes drive."

"I don't care. You will rest until we get there," dad replied, and I gave up. "Oh, and I hired a new assistant. I was hoping you could sit with him without revealing that you are my daughter or the CEO to check if his personality is good with all employees. He can kiss his new job goodbye if he is toxic, rude, or arrogant."

"Sounds good. Let's go," I agreed and grabbed my thickest coat. New York's winter was cruel, and I did not want to catch a cold.

~~~~

We got out of the car, and I smiled at the kingdom dad had built throughout the years. Hansley's Watches was the most successful watches company in New York and ranked in the top ten in the United States. I loved that my name was next to dad's at the entrance of the massive building.

Dante Hansley - Owner of the Hansely's Watches Empire.

Jolene Hansley - CEO of the Hansley's Watches Empire.

I worked so hard to get to where I was; dad hired me when he witnessed how serious I was about this job. I was a regular seventeen-year-old employee who sold watches in one of dad's branches at first. I graduated early from high school, so I was determined to be someone who raised the company to the highest places. I studied business administration at Harvard University. I got my bachelor's degree in three years and my master's in one. I died and returned to life multiple times until I graduated because I took the shortest and most challenging route.

I began my first day at the Human Resources department when I was twenty-one, climbing my way through until I became the CEO at twenty-five. I was pretty young, and most board members frowned upon dad's decision to step down and put me in charge. After a year of dedication and diligence, I proved to them my worth, and they were finally satisfied by my leadership.

"His name is Adam Evans, and he should be here at eight, waiting for me to show him around. He didn't do his research well on us, so I didn't tell him I was the owner. I pretended to be the hiring manager and hired him to test his behavior. Now, Joe, please say I was sick, and you will show him around as a fellow employee. If you notice anything wrong, call me, or fire him. Your call." After he explained, dad let me enter the building first, and the receptionist greeted us with a broad smile. "Good morning, Lora. Everything's ready?"

"Good morning to both of you, and yes, sir. Everything is all set. They are waiting for you to approve the shipment at ground zero. Have a lovely day!" Lora replied and handed me Adam's file. I will take care of him after we resolve the shipment order.

"Thank you, Lora. Have a nice day," I said, and we walked to the elevators. I opened Adam's file, and I frowned. "Dad, I got the first red flag. His age is twenty-five based on what is written here, but his facial expression and wrinkles say otherwise."

Dad patted my head and nodded. "I noticed it too, but I didn't ask him. I expect you could figure out why he would rather be seen as a twenty-five-year-old when he is older than thirty-five. I hope he has a convincing reason."

"Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I am guessing that he is embarrassed to be working as a junior at, let's say, thirty-seven, but we'll see," I said, and dad sighed.

"People are a puzzle. Anyways, we have arrived. If you don't like anything about this shipment, tell me." I nodded, and other employees and board members welcomed us.

"Mr. Hansley, I checked the documents, and everything seems fine. We didn't open the containers until you were here, sir." After I became the CEO, I noticed that some men were simply against females being in charge, and this motherfucker was one of them.

Ross hated me for taking over the position he had wanted for years, but dad knew he was greedy. Despite that, Ross was an excellent employee and a vital asset to the company, so dad had not fired him yet. On the other hand, I was running out of patience for him. His subtle insults about women were infuriating, and he never made a mistake in front of dad. Other female workers were complaining about his behavior too. I marked half a year to see if he would change, and five months had passed, and he was worse than before.

"Ross, this document seems to have a mistake, didn't you see?" I asked, knowing that I had stepped on one of his damn nerves, but I did not care. Ross jumped on my last nerves long ago, and he needed a taste of his own medicine.

He forced a smile and grabbed the document. "No, there isn't, Miss Hansley. I checked three times. I don't make mistakes."

"Ross, I don't appreciate your tone. I said there is a mistake, then there is a mistake. You messed up, and if your ego is blinding you from seeing what is not right, I say you see yourself out the door for good. Check again, and dad and I won't see the shipment until you fix it." I was not a doormat he could step on to rub his dirty feet, and I would not tolerate his behavior even if he were an essential member.

"Ross, listen to your CEO and revise this document. We will be waiting here. I will give you five minutes; it should be enough to spot the mistake that your boss noticed in less than ten seconds." Dad crossed his arms and looked at the rest. "Meanwhile, prepare the shipment because I am sure Ross here will come around soon, right, son?"

When dad calls anyone son, a warning is issued, and the person should be careful. "Yes, sir. I will be right back, Miss Hansley."

"You handled the situation well, Bambi. If Ross doesn't see that the date is incorrect, which is crucial for any contract, he is fired for sure. Now I know you want to fire him even if he fixes the error, but I want you to give him another chance, okay?"

"But dad, Ross is a chauvinist bastard, too self-centered, and he triggers me a lot. That is not what a healthy environment should have. Isn't that your motto?"

"I know, Bambi. I know his personality, but he promised to change when I warned him last month," dad said, and I sighed.

"One month, and after that, if he stays this way, I will fire him," I replied.

"Okay, Bambi. Oh, here he comes. Let's see if he figured it out."

"He better!"

"I am an idiot, and I am so sorry. I fixed the date. I know I should be fired now, but please, give me a second chance!" Ross handed me the paper and lowered his head. I gave you multiple chances before.

"If I see another blunder on your behalf, you are out. Understand?" I said firmly, and he nodded.

"Thank you. Let us see the shipment, Miss Hansley, Sir Hansley."

A slight change can make a huge difference.

~~~~

What do you think?

Comment and vote, please!

Chapter two is out now on inkitt, if you want to read a chapter a head of wattpad, send me a private message and I will send you the link :)