Chapter 35

"Dad, what are you doing here?" I asked as I got up and hugged him to distract him from our previous conversation and because I missed him too. He did not let go of me as he eyed Dario and his bare chest. 

Overprotective dad mode: on.

Dad let go of me and started to walk slowly toward Dario while rolling his sleeves to his elbows. "I came to see my one and only daughter, but what is this situation?" He pointed at us, and I prayed that this ends well. "Where is your shirt, Dario? Is it taking a vacation in your closet?" Dad narrowed his eyes as he looked at Dario's back, and I stepped closer. "Why are you bandaged? You kissed her? Without her consent? You bastard son of a bitch! I will finish the job as you look like you escaped death today."

When Dad was about to launch himself at Dario and inflict more damage on his already damaged body, I grabbed his arm and made him stand in his place. I was physically stronger than Dad, and he knew it. He made me take those martial arts classes since I was young.

"Let us explain first before you jump to conclusions." Dario nodded at my words and wanted to stand up, but I quickly let go of Dad's arm and made Dario stay on the sofa. I felt like I was taking care of two toddlers. "Don't move. You just got out of surgery!" I chose these exact words to set the right mood for our explanation to Dad. He needed to know that it was serious.

"Surgery? Bambi, what happened?" Dad's nickname for me felt foreign and weird coming out of his mouth after Dario's association with it. I glared at Dario for ruining something so innocent and started explaining what happened with Atlas and how Dario shielded me with his body to my now livid dad. "I will shoot that motherfucker when I see him next. I am damn sure he is a cat with nine lives. So, he is alive somewhere out there."

"Trust me, my men are working hard to find him, but as you might know, he is a cunning genius at hiding his tracks. It might take a while to find him," Dario stated and tried to reach for the cup of water, yet could not, so I handed it to him.

Dad looked between us and sighed. "You know what? I don't care if you find him in the next five seconds; I will take my daughter back to New York, where we know he is not there!"

My eyes widened at his statement. "Wait, what? Dad, you can't decide when I should leave every time you feel like it! I am perfectly fine here, and we are just starting the real deal with the business. It's finally moving forward, and I don't want Atlas to ruin it for us."

"Jolene, it's not safe for you here anymore, and clearly, Dario can't protect you properly. Otherwise, he would not let you go with Atlas!"

"First, I walked with Atlas on my own-"

"To save Dario's family, which is very noble of you, but you are my only child. I can't afford to lose you, Jolene." Dad placed his hand on my head and looked at me in a way he had never looked at me before. He was petrified, and I understood his emotions, but I could not let him treat Dario like that. It was unjust.

I put my palm on his cheek and smiled. "Dad, I am alive. Here. Now. I am breathing well. I am not a child anymore, and I am a grown-ass woman. Don't forget that Dario did as you instructed and protected me with his life. With his life! That bullet would have been in my chest if he hadn't stepped in. He passed his mission, in my opinion."

"That's the thing... you should not have been in that situation in the first place, Jolene. How did you let her go, Dario? I entrusted you with her safety!" He glared at Dario, and I sighed. Dad was usually calm and reasonable. I was shocked to see him in this erratic state.

"Dad, again, I decided to go. If not, Enola and Andrea would have been dead because of me! Because of my stalker! Me going with Atlas because he 'loves' me, as he claims, is better than having blood on my hands. So, don't blame Dario for saving my fucking life. The man can barely walk, and you are here blaming him. Act your age, Dad, and look at the situation differently."

This was the first time in my life that I raised my voice at the one who brought me to this life, and I instantly felt guilty.

"Jolene... calm down, per favore," Dario whispered when he saw me breathing heavily. I took a deep breath and sat next to him on the sofa since Dad took my chair. Dad frowned at me, but I brushed it off. "Dante, I am sorry that Jolene was in danger, but I promise you again that I will keep her safe, knowing I did not break my promise the first time as she is not physically hurt. Just... let her stay," Dario said calmly, and his hand was on my lower back, running soothing circles. Dario knew I was not mentally okay and needed time to recover. I appreciated that he did not bring it up. 

Dad did not see Dario's hand on my back because he was too railed up to notice these small details, and I was thankful.

After a while of excruciating silence, Dad cleared his throat. "I regret sending her to you..." Dad started, and I closed my eyes, waiting for the worse. "But, she did not get hurt because you saved her. Thank you for taking a bullet in her stead, and I apologize for my little scene earlier. I was just upset that my little girl was... anyway, thank you, and I am sorry."

I finally cracked a smile and patted Dad's knee in reassurance. "You don't need to apologize. I understand. You are a father, after all." Dario's comment earned a grin from Dad.

"Hell, yes, and a good one at that!" he joked and grabbed my hand. Dad froze when he saw my fingers, and I cursed in my mind. "Bambi, you did not get married while you were here... right?" his mortified expression killed me. I wanted to laugh but refrained from it.

I shook my head and placed my hand on my leg. "No! I just had to put the ring on my finger to try and scare Atlas away... did not work."

"Whose ring is that?" he asked, and before Dario could answer, I pinched his thigh.

"Mine, I bought it yesterday in a hurry just in case I needed it," I lied and looked at Dario apologetically. I did not need any more overprotective father drama, but I made a mental note to return it to Dario later. 

I was hella tired and in need of a shower and sleep. The smell of blood was still disgusting, but I got used to it. 

How can doctors usually function when they see blood?

~~~

1.08.2023 

Hello!!! I hope you liked this chapter :) 

Random question, what is your eye color? Mine is usually honey, sometimes hazel (depending on the lighting)