Chapter 10

I said I would update every fifth and 20th of each month, but I could not wait another day! I will update twice a month, and if I change the schedule, I will tell you. 

Enjoy reading :)

"Dad, I am not hungry anymore. I can't eat the last pancake! Please, I don't want to stay in the bathroom the whole flight." I whined as I looked at the clock. My flight departs in an hour, and Dad is driving me to the airport as fast as he can, occasionally breaking the speed limit. Pheobe was in the backseat, laughing at my misery. "Pheobe, you eat it."

"Don't mind if I do," she replied and took it. The girl could eat and enjoy every piece without caring about the bumping ride. Her chubby cheeks were my favorite part since they were pinchable and pink. "Anyway, you have to text or call me every few hours every day or two. Don't you dare make a new best friend and forget about me. So, depending on the job, I will visit you every once in a while. Right, Mr. Dante?"

Dad glanced at Phoebe from the rearview mirror and nodded. "Certainly. I talked with Dario, and he promised to protect you from danger. But, Bambi, if you feel he is not doing his job well, call me, and I will pay him a friendly visit."

I shuddered at dad's wicked smirk and looked out the window. Good thing I was on his side. "Stop worrying. I can protect myself if it comes to it. Remember, you taught me how to do so a few years ago. But, It's not like I am going to war." I looked back at dad and smiled to reassure him. "And thank you, Pheobe, for booking my flight on a regular plane. I want to try it at least once and feel what normal people experience when they travel in economic seats."

"No problem, and it's fun if you don't end up next to a crying baby or a pervy old man," Phoebe remarked, and I laughed.

"A baby... is fine. Pervy old or young men, that's a big no! I will request a seat transfer if it's possible in that case. If not, I will sit on the outside and keep the pillow between us. Oh, and my fist will be clenched and ready to make contact if he makes a wrong move. I do not take bullshit from anyone."

"That's my girl. Three minutes until I park, and you can run to the gate. We will run with you," dad said, and I shook my head.

"No need, you stay in the car. I hate goodbyes, and if you come with me, it will be more dramatic and emotional and attract unwanted attention from nosy passengers, so no thanks."

He parked and looked at me with a sad expression. "As you wish, Bambi."

"If you find anything new about Atlas, call me immediately."

"We will, Joe." Phoebe looked ahead and smiled weakly. "This is your stop. Be careful out there, and ship nice stuff once in a while, preferably yummy goodies."

I laughed and hugged them goodbye. "I will. See you later, Phoebe, and stay safe too. Dad, don't renew your vows with your work. Rest once in a while and eat properly, okay?"

"Very funny, now go before I change my mind. I love you, Bambi. Call me when you land."

~~~

I barely reached the gate because dad decided to give me a fifteen-minute hug. It was suffocating, but I endured it until Phoebe checked the time. I dashed inside and was the last passenger to enter the plane. "A-23, A-23... Here it is." I saw a young girl typing on her laptop as she let me slide inside, next to the window. "Thank you," I said.