Chapter 54

Make sure to read Ch.53 first. I posted it not long ago!

There was only one week left to the annual Mafia Ball, and I had never seen Dario look so stressed. He had been coming home later than usual these past couple of nights, trying to finish all the preparations before next Friday. This event would impact alliances, treaties, and politics. What shocked me the most was that the Italian government approved the Ball as a legitimate business event. Traffic would be reduced to avoid conspiracies and assassination attempts.

This is some next level of Royalty.

It was the most impactful event of the year. It was funny how everyone became blind to the illegal activities when politics was involved. The ruling government was to remain in power, and most mafias worldwide supported their governments in one way or another. 

I thought The Romano Mafia only worked with authorities by eliminating dangerous individuals and criminals. However, the weapons Dario sold to authorized governments and armies worldwide strengthened alliances with other countries, hence, the blind eye.

I was the CEO of one of the most successful companies in America, and I was not as well versed as I thought I would be in politics until I got a closer look at Dario's business and lifestyle.

"Jolene," Phoebe called, catching my attention. "I can see that your pretty little head is working at full speed. What is it?" I made eye contact with her through the rearview mirror and sighed.

"Nothing you should worry about, but are you sure this is a good idea to go and spy on their date?" I asked Abramo and Phoebe, who were sitting too close to each other in the passenger seats. Love was in the air.

Dario, driving at average speed while following Fabio's car, nodded. "Why do we have to spy? It's a date. It's supposed to be private," he reasoned, and I agreed. It felt like we were invading their privacy, and I hated that.

Abramo smirked. "Because I never saw Fabio alone with a girl. I want to know how Diana will deal with his feminist ass."

"Not just that, I am worried about Diana. The incident is still fresh, so I would like to be near her in case something happens," Phoebe explained, and I understood where she was coming from. She wanted to guard and support Diana because Dad and I did that for her, and our actions, as she states, helped her through.

"Fine, but if they see us, I will blame you, Abramo," Dario stated.

~~~

"Omg, she looks beautiful," I whispered as we sat a few tables behind the couple. Diana wore a burgundy form-fitting dress, which she slayed better than supermodels. Her body and curves were to die for, even though she did not necessarily like being a plus-size. She was honestly one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen, and when I told her that, she shyly dismissed me. She was not used to compliments from people other than her family, but that was starting to change.

Phoebe and I convinced her that being happy and healthy was all that mattered in the long run. Besides, Dario told me Diana was Fabio's exact type. They had a drunken night a while back at work, and Fabio spilled his guts to his don. Dario was kind enough to listen. He really cared about his men like family, and I admired that quality in him so much.

"Yes, she's stunning! Good thing she wore the dress we bought for her," Phoebe remarked as she grabbed the menu.

"Look at Fabio's cheeks! He's precious," Abramo commented, and on cue, the waitress came over to take our orders, but her eyes were glued to Dario.