Chapter 50

TW: Panic Attack, Traumatic Past, Mention of Rape

Phoebe 

When Abramo came to pick me up from Dario's house to visit Diana, I did not expect that he would be driving a black Pininfarina Battista. My knees literally folded at its beauty and elegance, and Abramo knew the car's effect on me. It made me wonder how much was in his bank account to be able to afford such a car.

His smirk gave away his dirty thoughts, but I was not fazed. I just wanted for his comment because I knew it was coming.

"I personally know how to make you fold like that if you ever want to try. I can be very satisfying," he suggested as soon as I entered the car. I almost choked at his bluntness, but I enjoyed it. That was probably why I felt comfortable with him.

He was not shy, and neither was I.

I grinned. "No thanks, I can satisfy myself just fine. Now, drive before I call Jolene and tell her you are harassing me." His eyes widened as I mentioned her name, and I smiled triumphantly. He witnessed what she did to the rapist, and they were treading carefully around her since they now knew what she was capable of.

She was a protective beast disguised as an angel.

Abramo cleared his throat, clearly regretting his words, and drove to Diana's grandparent's house. "Mi dispiace tanto, don't tell Joe," he murmured quietly, and I laughed. His beautiful dark eyes reflected actual fear, which was a priceless sight. "Anyway, tell me more about yourself. I only know the basic stuff. You are a stunning 26-year-old young woman who works with Jolene and apparently likes fancy cars. What else?"

I smiled as I opened the window and let my black hair fly. Abramo gave me a quick glance and focused on the road. "Thanks for the compliment! I am the Chief marketing officer at Hansley's Watches company. I worked my ass off to get to this position after years of marketing and advertising at different companies. I started very young, like fifteen years old young."

"Impressive," he remarked with a grin.

"I take pride in what I do! I earned the right to be prideful." I nodded at my own success and looked back at the road.

"Atta girl."

I chuckled at his comment as he took a left turn, and the sea was in full view now. It was absolutely breathtaking. The water was sparkling, and I wanted to stare at it for days. "My only friend is Jolene. It might sound sad, but I am happy that way. I love her to death, and I owe her a lot," I said without going into details.

Those past five years of self-hatred were almost destructive. I fell into depression, but Joe snatched me from my dark hole, helped me overcome my demons, and guided me to the light. I literally owed her my life.

"One good friend is better than a thousand fake friends. I used to have many pretentious and annoying friends until I found my real people. My family."

"Tell me more if you don't mind sharing." I gazed at his focused face, and he nodded. He did not hesitate, so I guessed it was not a touchy subject.

"At the age of ten, I became homeless. My parents abandoned me for drugs, and I had to fend for myself and survive. I stole bread from stores, begged for me, and knocked on people's doors for a cup of water until Dario found me sleeping on the pavement when we were eighteen. He took me under his wing, fed me, kept a roof above my head, and even sent me to university. I have a degree in physics and business, all thanks to Dario and Basilio. Giovanni, Lazlo, Mattia, Fabio, Orlando, and Dario are my family, not just my best friends. Basilio is more like a father. I trust them with my life, and I would die for them."