Chapter 36

*This is how I imagine the bathroom aesthetics, more or less*

"Not to be rude or anything, but how did you get inside my house? I am pretty sure I saw Jolene lock it twice." Dario's question brought me back to reality. It was a very good question.

"Basilio let me borrow an extra key when he knew I wanted to surprise my daughter with my presence. Now I understand why he was hesitant to give it to me. You look like shit, by the way."

Dante Hansley has no filter, and I got that from him.

"Dad! That's too much!" I tried to sound reasonable, but Dario's laugh contradicted my words. 

I did curse him... a lot.

"Don't act like you haven't said worse than that, Ba- Jolene," he remarked, quickly recovering from his almost mistake. I thanked God that his tongue did not slip and called me Bambi in front of Dad. I gave Dario a pointed look, warning him to be more careful. He glanced at his gun, avoiding my gaze. He knew better than to piss off my dad.

I turned my attention back to Dad, who stood up while yawning like he had not slept for weeks. "Do you have an extra room I could crash in? If not, I can book a room in a nearby hotel."

"Of course, there is an empty room with a bed down the hall. Could you show Dante the way, Jolene? You know, since I can't move properly." Dario's smirk caught me off guard, and I slapped his head when Dad was not looking and walked away.

When I burnt my hand earlier, Dario ran to my side. 

'Can't move properly' my ass.

"How do you like it here, Bambi? Is Dario treating you right? Is he respectful? If not, I can deal with him, just give me a shovel." Dad asked once we entered his temporary room, and I chuckled at his threat.

"I love Sicily, I went sightseeing with Enola, and it is breathtaking! And yes, Dario is treating me well, and he is respectful," most of the time. Dario's inappropriate comments and dirty jokes should stay between us. Dad did not need to know about them, or else I would seriously need to give him a shovel.

Dad nodded as he crashed on the bed. "Good. Now, if you will excuse me, I am jetlagged and in need of sleep. Goodnight, sweetheart." He kissed my forehead, and I covered him with a soft new blanket I made Dario buy a while ago in case of unexpected guests. It came in handy.

I also made Dario clean the whole house with me on a weekly basis so he could feel what the cleaners felt. Sure, money could save us the hassle, but it was a fun bonding activity. It brought us closer and made me not want to kill him all the time. He became bearable.

"Goodnight, Dad. If you need anything, just call out." 

~~~

"We dodged a bullet there," Dario said after he saw me enter the living room. "Well, a second and figurative bullet. You know, for the business, I mean," he added quickly and rubbed the nape of his neck. He was nervous.

"Sure," I replied. I suddenly remembered what I needed to do and took off the ring and handed it to him. "Thanks for letting me use it. You can have it now." My finger felt cold, but it did not matter. It was his ring.

He stared at me for a hot minute yet did not take it from my hanging hand. "You must keep it. We will reencounter Atlas, and we need the fake marriage cover-up story. Even if it's unbelievable, we planted doubt in his head. Here, let me..." He took the ring and gently grabbed my hand, dragging me toward him. I almost fell on his stomach but steadied my legs. He did not give me time to react as he slid the ring on my finger. I almost blushed at the action because it was so intimate and shockingly sentimental.