Chapter One

August of 1944

General Richard Burdwick had found himself on temporary leave to reunite with his wife Marjorie, as he found himself going to Virginia, he had found things different since he last visited. He was warmer than he remembered, and everyone was working a lot more than usual, especially the women, who were working on the homefront. He never imagined seeing women working as much as they were especially now.

But he also could expect it at the same time. With women's husbands not being home, they needed to provide for themselves and for their children. He then looked around and wondered if Marjorie was working anywhere. But then he remembered that she was more of an indoor type of girl, so she would never work on a farm. So perhaps at home working was more of her scene.

 But there was so much that could happen that he didn't expect, he wasn't sure of what was set to happen when he returned home. But he just couldn't wait to see Marjorie again. It felt like forever since the last time he saw her. As he walked around the town of Charlottesville, he looked over and he didn't remember how many hills there were, how many hillbillies there were, and how many people there were. 

He was truly missing it. And he couldn't wait to see Marjorie again more than anyone. 

As we walked by to their house, he had forgotten what it looked like, but then as he was there, he remember the small yellow house that he lived in with Marjorie. 

He smiled and looked over and remembered that Marjorie was there, he missed her. He missed her entirely, and he couldn't wait to see her again.

As Richard knocked on the door, he took a step back and anticipated himself, not knowing if anyone was going to be at the door. He looked through the window and saw that the lights were on. Meaning there was a chance that someone was home. He was just hoping for it to be Marjorie. 

As he saw the door open, he looked over and saw that it was Marjorie. He remembered her bright blue eyes, and her dark raven hair, alongside her pale, ivory skin. He couldn't believe it was her. She just looked more beautiful than ever. 

Marjorie looked at him almost surprised to see him, she couldn't believe her eyes, she cupped her face trying not to burst into tears and she just hugged him tightly.

"Hello..." Richard said awkwardly.

"Is it really you?" Marjorie asked

"Yes, It's me..." Richard said silently trying his best to comfort her. But something felt different inside of him. He didn't know if it was because he wasn't in love with her like he used to be, or if it was because he missed being around the other men. It felt weird not being around them, especially his good friend, Alexander, who had been under his wing since he enlisted. But he missed Marjorie entirely and was happy to see her more than anything else.

Marjorie opened the door and helped Richard with his bags, and helped him come inside, she just had him sit down so she could make him tea. As he sat down, he looked around and noticed that all of the photographs of him and her were still there, he didn't remember most of them, it just felt so long ago to him. 

"When did you come back?" Marjorie asked, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Just recently, and I wanted to surprise you," Richard answered looking into Marjorie's eyes.

"Well this was a pleasant surprise..." Marjorie said holding onto Richard.

"It was..." Marjorie cried,

Richard started to look around at the rest of his surroundings, and wondered when the last time he had been at home, it must have been at least forever. He didn't remember what his home looked like until that moment.

"I was hoping I would have met your friend if anything...." Marjorie said, "The one you were always talking to me about, what was his name...."

"Oh... Alexander..." Richard said, "He went home to visit his family for a few days." 

Richard would have loved for Alexander and Marjorie to meet. He always felt as if the two of them would have gotten along quite well. He almost felt as if they were similar in a way. They both liked the same things, and had the same political opinions. He didn't know what could have gone wrong. 

"I hope I do meet him one day." Marjorie said,

"Don't worry, you will.." Richard said as he took a sip of his tea.

Marjorie was more than happy to see that her husband was home, back in one piece. She didn't know how he made it out alive, but he did. Anzio was one of the toughest battles for him, especially with it lasting as long as it did. She was happy that he had survived as much as he did. 

"I don't know..." Richard answered, "You working at all or..."

Marjorie mentioned that she worked one job for a while, but then started to do something else because she wasn't happy. But then decided to switch because she found it too boring for her.  But she was also just trying to figure out her place during the war. Marjorie didn't realize how much she needed Richard around the house, she even admitted to him that she didn't feel like herself without him. But they had been married for at least three years now, when they first got married they didn't have much, and moments later Richard enlisted in the Military right after the news that the war had broken out. 

Which left Marjorie heartbroken, but now that he was back the couple had a lot of catching up to do. And there was a whole lot for them to talk about. Marjorie did wonder a lot and so did Richard. Both of them didn't know if they even still were in love any more, but Richard returned home partially for that reason, to see if he was still in love with Marjorie, and if she was still in love with him. He did feel guilty for not writing to her as much as he thought he would. But Marjorie did understand why he hadn't been writing to her as much as he thought he would, all because he was training all of the time, and he was fighting all the time.

"You do know that I love you Marjorie. I love you so much." Richard said, 

"And I love you too." Marjorie answered leaning in to kiss his lips, "You're back and that's all that matters to me," 

Richard was happy to be home. But he also wanted to return to the Military as soon as he could. But he didn't know why.