Chapter Nine

Everyday was growing to be more proof of struggle for Richard, he wanted to be able to open up to Marjorie like he used to be able to. But he couldn't, he couldn't own up to who he really was. That was the worst part of having the feelings that he was having. That he felt as if he were to be honest about who he was, he would feel like he was betraying Marjorie.

For the past few days, Richard would walk around town every morning, hoping it would clear his head. But there was not anything that helped him. He kept seeing the same houses, and the same American Flags, alongside badges to show that a fallen soldier lived there. And he would also see the same old man sitting on the porch of his small yellow house. He saw him every morning when he was on his walk. He was reading the same newspaper sitting in the same position that he was always in, with his legs crossed not paying attention to the rest of his surroundings.

Richard always wanted to approach him, but he never got the chance to do that. Only because he didn't want to disturb him. Or it was because he was not feeling like doing it because he seemed so peaceful. But then Richard wondered if that was the way he was going to be when he was an old man. He wondered if he was going to be calm and always sitting on a porch most mornings, reading a newspaper. He wondered who he was going to be with when he was old and gray. He wondered if he was going to continue lying to himself and be with Marjorie. Or perhaps he was going to continue to try and develop whatever he has with Alexander.

 As he started to walk back home, he started to think about all of the possibilities of where life was going to take him, he didn't know what he wanted anymore. He didn't know what was right and what was wrong. 

Once he finally got to his home, he looked over and saw Jimmy with Dorothy and Marjorie all waiting on the front porch for him. He looked confused as he saw the three of them altogether. Jimmy had his arms crossed, and Dorothy was standing next to Jimmy. And Marjorie was looking at Richard, he was immediately starting to feel concerned about what was happening, there were many options of why they were together. He was also wondering why all of them were waiting for him. He was starting to grow more and more anxious by the second. Thinking about all of the possibilities. 

Perhaps they found his letters to Alexander, which he had a feeling wasn't the case because he always mailed his letters the moment he finished writing them. So it couldn't have been that. But then he decided to ask what the elephant in the room was because he couldn't take it anymore. 

"What's going on?" Richard asked,

"We need to tell you something," Jimmy said to Richard as he sighed nervously, "Me and Marjorie need to tell you and Dorothy something." 

Dorothy looked at Jimmy surprised because she didn't know that he had to tell her something as well. It got her nervous, with a baby on the way, there were so many possibilities of what could be the case for the topic of what needed to be said. Marjorie looked at Richard more anxious than ever before. There were a lot of things that could happen. But Richard wanted to know what everything was about. He sat down on the porch and told Jimmy and Marjorie to sit down as well. Dorothy decided to stay standing up because she felt nervous about the baby.

"Alright, whatever it is... please..." Richard said, "Tell me..." 

"And me... because you're scaring me..." Dorothy added

Jimmy sighed loudly and looked at Marjorie, Richard then looked at Dorothy and knew that it must have been something serious if they both were finding it difficult to say something. Jimmy just sighed again and said what he needed to say. 

"While you were away..." Jimmy started trying to think about what to say next, Marjorie took another gulp, "While you were away... me and Marjorie..." 

"Jimmy and I had an affair." Marjorie blurted, "It was only while you were gone. I promise."

Dorothy looked at Jimmy and started laughing. Hoping it was a joke until the laughter turned to her crying. She couldn't believe Jimmy, who she had been with for years, and Marjorie, who was one of her closest friends. Her being pregnant, was what broke her heart more by this betrayal. Richard couldn't believe it either, Jimmy was considered to be his best friend, and he had been with Marjorie since who knows when. The thought of them being together while they were away, and not in front of his eyes is what hurt him the most. But he was more upset for Dorothy, who was having Jimmy's baby, and it also had him questioning Jimmy's loyalty, Marjorie's loyalty, and both marriages. 

"Please tell me this is a joke..." Dorothy cried, "Please tell me you're lying... Marjorie..."

"I wish I was lying..." Marjorie admitted, "It didn't mean anything Dorothy, I swear..." 

"You're lying again!" Richard blurted, "I see how you look at him, Marjorie."

Dorothy started to tear up even more. She felt betrayed, angry and sad all of them rolled into one. She didn't know how to feel. Richard couldn't believe it either. But he also wasn't surprised at the same time. There were so many things that were already starting to surprise him, and he always knew that Marjorie had a crush on Jimmy growing up but he never thought she would ever try to pursue it. But she did. Richard just saw that heartbreak on Dorothy's face, she felt so betrayed. 

"I'm gonna go..." Dorothy said running from the porch in tears. Marjorie and Jimmy just watched as Dorothy ran off. Richard just looked at Jimmy surprised, and then looked at a weeping Marjorie, who was starting to feel guilty. 

 Richard just walked over to Jimmy and not say a word, until he decked his fist into Jimmy's face and walked inside. 

He didn't want to admit it, but he felt betrayed as well. But he also took it as a sign. As a sign that Marjorie wasn't the one for him. That maybe, he wasn't supposed to be with her.

Because this was a huge betrayal to him and to Dorothy. Richard couldn't imagine how Dorothy was feeling when she ran off. He wondered if she was ever going to forgive Jimmy. The baby on the way especially was what broke Richard's heart the most for Dorothy.

But a part of Richard should have known. He should have known that something was not right. With the way, Marjorie was acting. With the way, she behaved about every situation. Perhaps it was because she wanted to have a baby so bad.

But it also wasn't his fault. 

 Except for Jimmy and Marjorie who were sneaking around behind Dorothy's back.