Chapter Fifteen

Richard had spent the rest of the night walking around thinking about his next move. He didn't know when Alexander had left and he didn't know when the next train was. But he knew that Alexander had been already gone. His conversation with Lester had really helped him, he didn't know that Lester fought in a war and fell in love with a man in the war just like he did. Which gave Richard a sign of hope that things will work out for him and Alexander. But then Richard remembered how Lester told him how Frank died in battle, which scared him. But Richard and Lester were completely different, alongside Alexander and Frank were also completely different.

Richard needed to think about how things were going to be better with him and Alexander because he just needed to make things right. He wanted Alexander to know that everything that he said to Marjorie wasn't true. He wanted Alexander to know that he truly cared about him, and he wanted nothing to do with Marjorie anymore. He loved Alexander, which was something he was too scared to admit.

But now he could admit it.

And he wasn't ashamed of it anymore.

But he was going to get away from his old life. He was going to forget about Marjorie, he was going to forget about her affair with Jimmy and he wanted to at least see how Dorothy was doing, and if she was going to continue with the marriage with Jimmy, he hadn't seen her in days, which he started to think about. Which terrified him in a way.

He wondered if Dorothy was alright, knowing how sensitive Dorothy was. He wondered if Dorothy was handling everything better than most would. But he knew Dorothy too well, he knew that she was probably a wreck, especially with her being pregnant and all. 

Which was going to make the situation worse than it already was, for everyone. 

Including Dorothy who was probably heartbroken. 

He wanted to check in and see how she was doing before he went on to find Alexander and potentially write to him.

Richard went to the door and knocked on it where Jimmy and Dorothy lived. He wondered if anyone was going to pick up, or even be home. Richard knocked on the door a few more times hoping that someone would be there to get the door for him. He looked through the window to see if anyone was there, and he didn't see a single soul. He was hoping everyone was out, and hoped that someone would go and get the door to open it for him. But there were a few minutes of no responses.

 Until he heard someone. He heard someone call his name. He recognized the voice immediately. It was Jimmy.

"What are you doing here?" Jimmy asked,

"I..." Richard started to say, "I was looking for Marjorie... I mean Dorothy... what are you doing here?"

Richard didn't know how he got Marjorie and Dorothy's names mixed up. Which was something that he felt embarrassed about. Jimmy laughed as he made the mistake, it almost felt as if he was making fun of his best friend again. Jimmy felt guilty about everything and Richard knew that, but things were different. He needed to move on from everything.

"I still live here." Jimmy admitted,

"What about Dorothy?" Richard asked,

"She left." Jimmy admitted, "Which I deserved." 

Richard laughed as he agreed with his comment. Jimmy then laughed back as Richard chuckled saying that Jimmy deserved Dorothy to leave him, but then Richard reminded himself that Jimmy was his best friend, and Dorothy has been by his side for as long as the two of them could remember. He wondered why Jimmy would do that to Dorothy, and to him as well. He didn't know what gave him the idea to betray the two people that loved him so much. Richard didn't care as much as he thought he would, he just wanted to know why.