chapter five - the quarry

The next day at the Quarry, Richie, Stan, Bill, Ben, and Eddie are heard hawking

The next day at the Quarry, Richie, Stan, Bill, Ben, and Eddie are heard hawking. Maddie, who wearing her white bikini, is looking at them, grossed out. "Lay it out." As they stand at the edge of a cliff overlooking the river, Richie spits down into the water and chuckled. Stan follows up. "Oh, my God." Richie said.

Bill lets out a more direct spit causing Richie to say, "So easy." "Poor tree." Eddie said and then Ben spits. "So easy!" Richie told him and Eddie's spit merely lands right at his feet. "Oh, my God, that was terrible. I win." Richie said and Eddie asked, "You won?" Maddie, Ben, Bill, and Stan looked at Richie.

"Yeah." Richie said and Eddie told him, "Did you see my loogie?" "That went the farthest!" Richie said and Ben told him, "It's by distance." "Mass. It's always been mass." Eddie told them and Richie asked, "What the-What is mass?" "Who cares how far it goes? It matters how cool it looks, like it's green or it's white, or juicy and fat." Eddie said.

"Okay, I'm about to vomit." Maddie said to Eddie and Richie. "See you guys down there!" Maddie said and ran off, jumping and landing into the water. "Holy shit!" Richie said and Eddie said, "Shown up once again..." "Dang..." Stanley said. "You okay, Mads!?" Bill yelled to his sister. "I'm fine! Get down here you babies!" Maddie screamed back as Ben waved at her.

"Dude, your sisters got guts." Richie said and then added, "Is it wrong of me to still think Maddie's hot?" It caused Bill to stare at him. "Don't even think about it..." Bill said without stuttering. "Dude, Maddie can barley stand you sometimes." Stan told him. Richie nodded knowing that was true. "All right, who's next?" Bill said after Stan's comment.

"I'll go." The five boys turned around at the sound of her voice as she let her bike fall on its side. They look at her as she undresses, revealing a white bikini and light blue underwear. "Sissies." Beverly said. She runs right for the edge of the cliff, past the boys, and gracefully jumped off.

Richie yelled, "What the fuck?!" Beverly descendsed toward the water, arms flailing, and hit the water with a perfect entry as the boys watched her from the cliff. "Aw, holy shit! Great! We just got showed up by another girl!" Richie said. Beverly said, "Hey!" to Maddie and they began to talk as the waited for the boys to join.

Stan asked, "Do we have to do that now?" "Yes." Eddie told him. "Come on!" Beverly yelled and Maddie yelled, "Yeah! Come and join us!" "Oh, shit." Stan said and Bill smiled. Bill jumped into the water after Beverly saying, "Whoo!"

Seconds later, the seven of them are having fun splashing each other and just talking. Ben rose from the water, holding Maddie on his shoulders, while Bill held Beverly on his shoulders. Maddie and Beverly then try to see who can push the other off.

Off to the side, Eddie dunks Stan in the water as Richie did that to Eddie. Maddie and Beverly grapple with each other, with Maddie pushed Beverly backward. Beverly fell off Bill's back, into the water, with a yelp. "They're down! Yes!" Maddie cheered raising her arms up. She high-fives Ben and then fell backwards into the water.

Bill and Beverly watched Maddie, Ben, Eddie, Richie, and Stan splashing each other for the fun of it. Beverly smiled at Bill, who glanced at her. Maddie was smiling as she laughed at her friends. Ben watched Maddie enjoying herself. "Ah, fuck! What was that?" Richie yelled. Maddie, Bill, Ben, and Beverly glanced at the other three boys.

"Something just touched my foot right here." Stan said and the three boys looked underwater, trying to see what's swimming in their vicinity. As Maddie, Eddie, Ben, Richie, and Stan form a circle, Maddie asked, "What are we even looking for?" Richie pointed down at the center of the circle, "Right here, right here, right here!" Richie said.

Bill surfaced after taking a closer look, "It's a turtle." Bill said making Maddie laugh. Maddie swam to Ben and asked him, "Having fun, New Kid?" "Yeah, thanks for inviting me." Ben told her. "No problem. Glad your having fun." Maddie told him and smiled at her new friend causing Ben to smile back.

Moments later, Stanley, Richie, Ben, and Eddie are mostly looking at Maddie, a little at Beverly. Bill was looking at Beverly. Bill would get mad at his friends if they stare at Maddie, checking her out. Richie would always say she was hot, it would get him mad. Bill was a protective older twin brother.

As the two girls sunbathed, having their sunglasses on while Young MC's "Bust a Move" played on Beverly's cassette player. Maddie, seemingly knew they are looking at her while Bill was looking at Beverly. Maddie tapped Beverly's arm. Beverly knew why Maddie tapped her. The two smirked at each-other, then turning towards them.

The boys promptly looked away and act natural. Eddie, who was standing next to Ben and Bill goes to sit next to Stanley. Beverly got into a sitting position as Maddie leaned back on her hands. Richie looked in Ben's bag. "News flash, Ben. School's out for summer!" Richie said.

Richie reached into Ben's backpack and pulled out the postcard Ben wrote. "Oh, that? That's not school stuff." Ben said and Richie was glancing at the postcard and turning it around. "Who sent you this?" Richie asked and Ben grabbed the postcard to Richie. "No one. Give it... No one." Ben told him.

"Richie, leave him alone. That stuff isn't yours." Maddie said. Richie ignored her and kept reaching into the backpack and pulling out a book, opening it, and seeing what looks like a newspaper article, covering the Ironworks explosion from the past. "What's with the history project?" Richie asked.

Stan leaned forward to take a closer look as well before Richie handed the book to Bill. "Oh... Well, when I first moved here, I didn't really have anyone to hang out with, so I just started spending time in the library." Richie said, as Bill looked at the article, "You went to the library? On purpose?"

Maddie stood up and walked over to the group. "Oh, I wanna see!" Maddie said and Bill moved over for his twin sister. Maddie sat in the middle of Ben and Bill. Beverly went and sat next to Bill, as Maddie held the book, looking at the articles.
Stanley asked, "What's the Black Spot?"

As they looked at a picture of the Black Spot from 1962, Maddie explained, "The Black Spot was a nightclub that was burned down years ago by that racist cult." "The what?" Stan asked her. "Don't you watch Geraldo?" Eddie asked. "That's not how I learned about this Eddie. It's either called reading or research, try it sometime." Maddie told him making some of them laugh.

"This is really cool Ben. I love history." Maddie told him as Bill kept looking at Beverly. "Your hair looks beautiful, Maddie." Ben told Maddie. She smiled and said, "Thanks Ben. Just left it down due to what we did today." "Here, pass it." Richie said extending his hand to Maddie, who handed the book back to him.

Stan leaned closer to take a look. "Why is it all murders and missing kids?" Richie asked causing Eddie to face Ben. "Derry's not like any town I've ever been in before. They did a study once, and it turns out people die or disappear six times the national average." Ben told them making Richie look at Stan, finding that to be very alarming.

Beverly asked, "You read that?" Maddie and Bill looked at Ben. "And that's just grown-ups. Kids are worse. Way, way worse." Maddie and Bill looked at each-other, wondering about this. Stan thought all of this was going to be very disturbing. "I've got more stuff if you wanna see it." Ben told them. Eddie was shaking his head and whispering, "No, no..."