Chapter 2: The Hard Deck

By the time I landed the next day, it was already 6pm, and I was planning on going to the Hard Deck tonight so I could see if any of the other pilots are going to be there that are doing this mission as well. Once I was allowed to get off the plane, I grabbed my bags and thanked the pilot. I got a taxi to my place and when I got back home, I had to use the hidden key in order to get in until I found my key that was somewhere in my bags. I unpacked all of my clothes, hung up my uniforms and whatever else needed to be hung up, and put the rest of my clothes and other stuff where they belong. After I was done, I needed a break and had to see who got called back so I got dressed in my usual tan uniform, put my hair back in a slicked military bun, put my boots on and grabbed my phone and keys before heading outside and locking the door. I played some music the whole way there and sang the lyrics to every song.

There were multiple cars but I saw my sister's car so I parked next to her before shutting my car off and slipping my phone and keys into my pockets. As soon as I walked in, I was hit with so many memories especially when I saw two of my best friends, Valerie Kazansky and Malia Mitchell. We were together for the four years of Naval Academy and then the 13 weeks of Top Gun. Val and Lia graduated top of our class, Maia and I placed 2nd, only a couple of points behind Lia and Val. I've known Val since junior year in High School because she transferred over to my school before we both ended up becoming even closer and she introduced me to Lia since Lia was and still is her RIO.

"RACHEL TRACE! COME HERE, GIRL!" Val yelled with a smile, and I walked over to the two of them as they were sitting at the bar talking to Penny Benjamin, the Hard Deck owner. I gave them hugs, did my handshake with Val, and Penny gave me a beer as I sat down. As soon as I sat down, I felt eyes on me and I knew that Val and I had made a scene.

"Thanks, Penny." I said.

"Amelia wants a sleepover you know," Penny said.

"I'll check my calendar, I love spending time with her." I said. Amelia is Penny's daughter and she would always sleep over while I was at Top Gun. Penny smiled and left us alone to go serve other people around the bar.

"Soooo, how was the mission?" I asked Lia since she and Val had a mission to protect the transport of some dangerous shit overseas.

"It was good, it successfully happened and no bandits came our way," Lia said.

"How was Greece?" Val asked.

"It was good, it's so beautiful and I'm renewing my contract for 2 more years then I'm done flying." I asked before taking a sip of my beer.

"Well, after the mission Lia and I split up so I can be my own pilot and she doesn't have to worry about me being her WSO. I was asked to go on a mission to help Hawaii for a couple weeks but then we were called back to Top Gun, and I'm guessing you two were as well." Val said. Lia mentioned that Val is her backseater for this mission before they separate for good. We were talking and drinking our beers, ignoring everything and everyone around us, and it was nice to be back with my best friends.

"Yeah." Lia and I said. Penny rang the bell and we all held up our beers in thanks to the old poor guy paying for our drinks. When Penny rings the bell, it means that someone disrespected the navy or a lady, or put your phone on her bar top, you buy a round for everyone in the bar.

"Dad?!" Lia asked. I looked across the bar and saw Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, Lia's dad. Val knows Maverick since her, Dad Tom "Iceman" Kazansky, was his wingman and Maverick is her godfather. I know both of their fathers from hanging out with the girls so many times at their own houses. The three of us went to where Maverick sat and gave him hugs and then Val and I left so Lia and her dad could talk to each other. Val's dad has throat cancer and last I heard he isn't doing the best so I'm not going to ask Val about her dad but I gave her a hug.