Chapter 6: Training days

As Lia was flying next to me, slightly behind me as we were just waiting for instructions, Maverick's voice came on the radio, and Val was checking the radar every couple of seconds.

"Good morning aviators. This is your captain speaking. Welcome to basic fighting maneuvers. As briefed, today's exercise us dogfighting. Guns only, no missiles. We do not go below the hard deck of 5,000 feet. Working as a team you have to shoot me down or else." Maverick said as I strapped the other side of my oxygen mask onto my helmet. 

"That means you don't go below 5000 feet Rebel." Val joked. I rolled my eyes.

"I know what that means Frosty. Just be a good WSO please so I can do my job as yours and Apollo's wingman." I said.

"Are you saying I'm a distraction to you?" Val teased.

"You're a distraction to everyone Frosty." Lia cut in.

"I'm asking Rebel, not you Apollo," Val said.

"Yes, Frosty, you are a distraction and definitely one of my favorite distractions sometimes," I said.

"Are you flirting with me Trace?" Val asked.

"I have a boyfriend Kazansky so make sure we don't lose the exercise." I said.

"Hey Mav, why don't we make this a little interesting." Lia said.

"Yeah, continuing our conversation. Or else what sir?" Val asked.

"Or else I'll shoot back. If I shoot either one of you down, you both lose." Maverick said.

"Now that's some serious bull." I said and Lia and Val started laughing.

"How about we put some skin in the game Mav?" I asked.

"What are you thinking Rebel?" Maverick asked.

"God no, don't listen to her, or Lia either, both of them are problematic." Val cut in. 

"She's lying, we're not problematic." Lia cut in. 

"That's bullshit." I said.

"Anyways! Whoever gets shot down first, has to do 200 push ups." Lia said.

"That's a lot of push-ups." Maverick said. 

"They don't call it an exercise for nothing. Sir." Val said.

"You've got yourself a deal ladies. Fights on, let's turn and burn." Maverick said. I could just feel the smirk on his face through the radio. 

"V, you see him?" I asked as I flew next to the girls.

"There's nothing on the radar up ahead." Val said as we looked over at each other.

"He's probably below us or behind us." Lia said, knowing how her father flies. As if on cue, Mav flew in from below us in between our planes, causing us to all let out curse words and turn in different ways.

"Mav's coming, break left!" I yelled and we broke away from each other.

"Apollo, where's your wingman?" Maverick asked.

"Rebel, get him off me!" Lia yelled.

"I'm coming!!" I yelled back as I turned my plane to go after Lia and Mav. I flew right in front of Mav to shake him off Lia's tail.

"Break right Apollo!" I said.

"Breaking right." Lia said and she flew right while I flew left.

"Rebel just saved your life ladies, but's it's gonna cost her." Maverick said as he followed me.