Chapter 1: Found an old enemy

Omniscient narrator:

We stood on a hill that from a distance appeared to be full of tranquility, however, on that hill stood a small group who were still celebrating their successful escape. Or well, most of the members were celebrating.

The captain of the group, second lieutenant Nikolay Ivushkin, was somehow with a bitter feeling, he did not know the reason for that feeling, but what he knew well was when from one moment to another he began to get depressed, with an aura of sadness and loneliness.
He felt a tightness in his chest as he remembered that day, the day he managed to escape from the clutches of the Nazis, the day he led his entire crew to freedom, and also the day he lost him... In just a matter of seconds he hesitated at the thought of being dragged with him to the bottom of that river. If he had not pushed the tank to the edge, that hateful German who had confused him and made him feel things he never felt for others would be with him, answering all his doubts.

- Hey, are you all right? -asked Anya when she noticed that her partner was crying, that undoubtedly surprised her a lot.

The boy, realizing that his silence had been cut by that woman, wiped his tears quickly, he didn't want her to see him crying, it would be pathetic.

- Yes Anya, I'm wonderful -

- Are you sure? You've been looking a little depressed for a few days now, is this because of everything that happened on the bridge with Kla...? -she couldn't finish her question as Nikolay had interrupted her in a rather aggressive manner.

- I don't want you to dare to mention her disgusting name, Yartseva! -

Ivushkin narrates:

Realizing the tone I used and how Anya had reacted in surprise, I remained static.... Why did I get this way just because I was going to mention her name? Did Klaus... No... That's impossible, that's not normal, that's a sin, they could kill me if they knew, I'm not going to let a stupid idea like that cross my mind.

With some frustration at not being able to clear my mind, I decided to walk down that hill and walk through what looked like a meadow that ended in a sketch. I informed Anya that I was going to walk and reconnoiter the perimeter, for obvious reasons she protested but I didn't think much of it and continued on my way.

As I ventured through the meadow I saw some cute things, like some small animals eating from those flowers lying on the ground, I also found some empty cartridges, I guess there was some training there at some point. I continued on my way until I reached the entrance of the forest, I looked in the opposite direction and sighed before entering the forest.

I couldn't say exactly how long I was walking, but the sound of running water caught my attention; when I looked out I saw a small river that continued through the forest, I decided to follow it for a while until I came across a somewhat large and dark cave, clearly I had to enter.

- Wow... -I said with some excitement and enthusiasm- There are some nice stones, I could take them to my mother. There are also a few branches and fish bones...wait.... Is that a weapon? -

No doubt that caught my attention so I picked it up with some curiosity and looked at it in detail...it was a Walther P38 and it was bathed in blood... Could it be a German that got lost in the woods? Why would there be a weapon of this type if it wasn't? Besides, it was loaded and looked like it hadn't been used for a long time.
For a few minutes I heard silence and then I thought I heard footsteps, I thought I was imagining things until the sound of heavy boots rumbling on the ground; instinctively I raised the gun and removed the safety catch aiming at whoever dared to approach.

- WHO'S THERE?!!!! -I asked to the air while I heard the footsteps getting closer and closer. When I didn't receive an answer, I ended up firing the gun, filling the space with the smell of lead-

- AAH! -the scream of that man was present in the cave while the smell of blood emanated from him, product of his new wound- Scheisseh! -

And at that moment, hearing that annoying voice, I carefully approached that being, once close I saw him, it was that German I thought was dead! But there was the son of a bitch! He was lying on the floor badly wounded and pale! That bastard was alive!
I was in shock for a couple of minutes, my body began to tremble lightly and for some reason crystalline tears showing my happiness fell down my cheeks.

I felt happy that after all this time, he was alive.... But why do I feel this way? He is supposed to be the enemy, I don't have to be happy that my enemies are alive, this behavior is not something you expect from a soldier, let alone one in my position.

I wanted to say something, I wanted to scream, I wanted to hit him, I wanted to hug him and tell him how sorry I was, but I couldn't, I wasn't able to move, I was petrified watching how the Germanic man was writhing on the floor trying to stop the bleeding I caused him. I felt pathetic for not being able to help him or even move; with a lump in my throat I tried to call him in a serious way but my appearance and voice didn't help, instead it came out in a clipped and sad way.

- Klaus... h-how come you're alive? -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well this is the first chapter of this english version, I hope to enjoy it ^^ 💕

(Rewritten 5/1/2024)