Chapter 20

It's silent between us for a moment as I process the call with Gwen.

"She didn't sound mad... that's good, I think." Jess speaks up finally.

"I don't know," I say. From my experience with other adults, they can act calm to rope you in and find out the extent of the trouble that you've gotten yourself into before going off on you for it. "She's never been mad around me... so there has to be a first... at some point. Right?"

It's weird to talk now. I can't pronounce some words?

"I don't want this to be the first, but I'd understand. Especially because you drank a small ocean." She says, no hint of a laugh in her voice although she made a funny comment.

"You're not helping." I tell her.

She mumbles an apology as I clutch my stomach. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to throw up, but I doubt I will. I hardly ever.

I go back to counting the blades of grass again, getting to about three or four and starting over. When a familiar car comes up the street, my stomach clenches and something comes up in my throat.

Gwen pulls up and Jess is about to go meet her, but I utter her name out before I turn around and throw up a small amount of what was left in me.

"Oh no." Jess rubs my back as I wince at the stinging in my throat.

"Viv-" Gwen calls, pure concern in her voice. She comes up beside me and pulls my hair back as I try to dry heave again. "Let it out, sweetheart."

There's nothing to let out.

"Jess, right?"

They start to exchange words as I hover over the grass, feeling like shit.

"Yeah."

"I'm Gwen, as you probably already know... have you had anything to drink tonight?"

"Just a swig, I swear."

Oh my gosh, she's going into full mama bear mode. I thought that was mostly just movies. Real moms don't jump in front of a moving train for their children.

Gwen tilts me back up, rubbing my back. "This mom would."

I said that out loud? Oh no.

"All done?" She asks.

I nod carefully, my head throbbing.

She helps me in the car and Jess sits in the back seat. I do up my seat belt and then immediately close my eyes. She begins to drive, but it's not even a minute into the trip when Gwen speaks up again.

"Vivian, you have some explaining to do. I'm willing to bet that your story is a little different than Jess's."

"Maybe..." I mumble, my eyes still closed.

"How did you end up at a high school party? Either one of you can answer, please."

Jess answers this one. "We weren't supposed to. We were mainly supposed to hang around the park or the shops near there but one of my sister's friends got word of a party. Vivian and I didn't want to go but we ended up agreeing to swing by."

"Were they pressuring you into it?"

"My sister wasn't but the other ones were a little bit."

"Okay. And Vivian?"

"Yes?..." I breathe out.

"What did you end up drinking?" She asks, sounding like she's on the edge of losing her calm now. No use in lying now.