Chapter 5

I must have a surprised yet confused look on my face as I'm thinking back to when I was a young child. Gwen seems confused too, probably about my reaction. But I remember I used to listen to Gwen Stefani's music when I could as a kid. I loved it. I even learned to play her song 'Cool' on guitar. Since I had very limited access to the internet, I didn't really know much of what she looked like or any of her newer albums, only her first solo album. That's why I didn't recognize her or barely recognize her name. It's been years.

"Vi?" She questions to get my attention. I lift my head to lock eyes with her.

"I remember now, I used to listen to your first solo album all the time as a child... or at least when I could." I say.

"That makes me so happy. Thank you." She grins.

"And I taught myself to play that song on guitar right before I stopped playing." I tell her. Her smile gets wider if even possible.

"Would you like to give it a go?" She asks as she works on her muscle memory while talking to me. I remember I used to do that a lot. It was the quicket way to learn the chords. Recite each chord without actually playing it.

"Okay, thanks."

Gwen hands the guitar over and I carefully take it, glad that we're both right handed for this. I think back, as much as it hurts, to the last few weeks with that guitar to remember the chords. Then, I start to strum, a little rusty on my playing, but a huge smile forms on my face. I've missed this so much. I play through the intro and the first verse, mouthing the words to myself as they start to come back to me. I had this song on repeat back then so I've barely forgotten it. I stumble a bit on a few of the chords, but each time I look up to see Gwen giving me an encouraging smile. She seems surprised herself too. Am I really that good after years are not playing? I doubt it.

When I get to the second verse, I can't help but to quietly sing along to the words. I must really trust Gwen. I never would have sang in front of anyone.

"We used to think it was impossible/Now you call me by my new last name/Memories seem like so long ago/Time always kills the pain," I sing softly. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Gwen's eyebrows shoot up and a grin appear on her face. I decide not to think about her reaction and focus on playing. I'm still stumbling on these chords.

"Remember Harbor Boulevard/The dreaming days where the mess was made/Look how all the kids have grown, oh/We have changed but we're still the same/After all that we've been through/I know we're cool," I continue with a little more confidence now. Then, for the last bit of the song, she chimes in.

"And I'll be happy for you/If you can be happy for me/Circles and triangles/And now we're hanging out with your new girlfriend/So far from where we've been/I know we're cool," We sing together. I can barely contain myself at hearing her voice. She was the voice of my childhood and I've missed hearing her voice a lot.

And when we finish the last line, I look up to lock eyes with her, smiling.

"You're so talented, Vi! It's amazing!" Gwen compliments me, making me blush slightly. I wait for her to criticize me though. Of course she has to. Can't she find something that was bad about it?

But no matter how long I wait, she doesn't say a bad thing.

"Your voice is so beautiful, honey. And I told you that you wouldn't be up against much. You've got skills that I don't on that guitar." She says as I give the guitar back to her.

"Thank you." I sheepishly say.

"I mean it. You've got something special." Gwen smiles. I don't realize that I'm tilting my head in confusion. It's just my natural response to compliments now. Somehow I don't understand that they can be talking to me and saying all of those good things.