Chapter 4

Early update! I can't believe how fast this story is growing so thank you everyone who is reading! Here's an update early for ya. I'll still stick to my update schedule of every Friday, but sometimes, if I have enough chapters lined up then I'll update early on a Monday or a Tuesday.

×××××

Vivian's POV

I wake up this morning, engulfed in soft sheets that make it feel like I'm in the clouds. I almost don't want to get up. It's warm here, unlike sleeping outside on the concrete, and it's so comfortable and soft, I feel like I've had my best sleep in years. I wish I could lay here the whole day and not have to do anything else. This has to be the most relaxed that I've felt my whole life. If only I could feel like this more often.

As I roll over on my back, that's when I take in the whole sight around me. I remember every little bit of what happened last night, now my anxiety is starting to take over me. I'm at Gwen's house, of course. She's done so much for me in the last sixteen or so hours. I want to thank her and repay her for all she's done, but I don't possibly know what I could do that could make her happy. Maybe something will come to me in the next little while. For now, I have to figure out how to navigate this day with Gwen while not getting in her way or causing trouble for her.

Seconds later, the smell of pancakes hits my nose. Gwen must have made breakfast, but what if she only made it for herself and not me? I don't want to go down there and cause an awkward scene. I don't want her to think that I'm hungry or interested in the food when it's not intended for me.

But I suck it up and decide to go down there anyways. I don't want to seem lazy, laying in bed all day and good for nothing. I want to at least get up and moving.

I get out from under the covers and remake the bed nicely, the way it was last night. I then go over to my bag in the corner of the room, picking out some old clothes and changing into those. I brush my hair with the brush in my bag, then pack everything back up before I head downstairs. I take each step slower than normal, trying to give myself time to plan out a conversation in my head so I'm prepared. But when I enter the kitchen to see Gwen putting pancakes on two plates set on the island, that all goes out the window. I'm constantly being proved wrong by her on how nice a person can actually be. She keeps surprising me and somehow making me think twice about what she said to me last night. She might be right. I might deserve a little more than what I let myself think.

"Hey Vi! Did you sleep well?" Gwen spots me, smiling.

I nod, then ask, "How about you?"

This catches her attention as she stops in the middle of placing our untensils by our plates. She looks up, surprised that I would even think to ask her.

"Yeah, I did. Thanks for asking." She says after a moment. I'm not sure why asking the question back to her took her so off guard. I'm just doing what any decent human being would do on top of also wanting to know if she had a good sleep. "Have a seat, hun. I made us pancakes. I would have asked you if you were okay with that, but I didn't want to wake you up."

I nod and smile, "I've been living on the streets for about a year, I'm sure I'm going to love anything you make, Gwen."

She smiles as she sits down at the island with me.

"Thanks, Vi. You're so sweet."

We continue eating, making simple conversation. I really am enjoying her food, it's amazing. I haven't had great food like this in a long while. I'm finding myself wishing even more that I could live here with Gwen, but I shouldn't, I can't. I'm too much of a bother and I don't think she would want me here either.