Chapter 28

The next few weeks were quiet. No marines were killed and Samantha left me alone, though I caught her glaring at me often. I knew she would try something at some point but I was enjoying the peace for the time being.

Matt and I also grew closer. We spent more and more time together and got to know one another much better. We constantly worked together on projects or just helped one another with homework. He was amazing at English while I was a maths whiz, so we played with one another's strengths.

He often came back to Gibbs' house too, and Gibbs became more tolerant of him. At first he had been majorly cold and unfriendly, but now he was as cold and unfriendly with Matt as he was with the rest of us!

I was still having nightmares, and they were getting worse. They must have been making up for the one night of peace I had got. Gibbs was essentially permanently sleeping in my room as he had to stay and watch over me. I felt bad but I was also too scared to tell him he could go back to his own bed.

He had apparently come up with a solution. I got into the car one day and he drove in the opposite direction than he normally would.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"I've got a surprise for you," he said quietly, "It was Tim's idea."

We stopped outside the pet adoption centre and I frowned.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"Jethro helped you get over your nightmares, so McGee thought that it would be a good idea for you to get your own dog," Gibbs said, "Doing it this way means a dog is rescued and you are helped."

"Thank you so much!" I smiled as we went inside.

The woman inside took us to where the dogs were kept.

"All these dogs have been rescued from either the streets or abusive homes," she told us, "All we ask for is a small donation and you can take one home and care for it yourself."

I glanced at all the dogs but one immediately caught my eye. It was a German Shepherd puppy who was looking up at me with sad eyes.

"This little guy was only rescued a few weeks ago," the woman said, "He was being very badly treated by his owners and we only just got there in time."

"I like him," I smiled.

The woman took the small dog out and placed him in my arms. He was shaking but quickly relaxed and placed his head on my shoulder, whimpering softly.

We walked to the front reception and Gibbs paid the small donation while the woman collected the adoption papers.

"He was never named, so you can choose and just sign it here along with your name," she said, pushing the papers and pen towards me.

I stroked the dog gently, frowning slightly. Whatever would I name this dog?

"Atticus," I said softly. I would name him after my favourite character in literature, a protector of the innocent and a gentleman.

I quickly signed the papers and Gibbs drove me to the pet shop. I took Atticus inside and the shop attendant helped me pick out everything I needed, from a collar and lead to food to the perfect bed. I wanted Atticus to have the best life he could.

He lay down on my knee as Gibbs drove to NCIS.

"I put in a special case with the director," Gibbs said, "He's allowed to come inside on the condition that you can control him."

"I promise I'll keep an eye on him," I grinned, rubbing him behind the ears, "Thank you so much, Gibbs."

We walked into NCIS and everyone was immediately surrounding him. They were in love with him and Gibbs had to intervene to get me to my desk before going upstairs.