Chapter 1

Just a quick note! At the start of this book, the writing is pretty poor and also really short! I might try a rewrite at some point, but please do try to bear with it! It gets better, I promise!

----------------------------------------

I nervously walked into the NCIS Headquarters. I had just arrived in Washington DC after my parents had been brutally murdered, leaving me alone and an orphan. I hadn't even processed it, I'd been shoved on a plane almost immediately, given no time to say goodbye. 

I used to live in Aberdeen, Scotland but, after my parents had died, they decided that I would be moved to Washington DC, my father's friend was to look after me. I had no surviving relatives, none that anyone knew of at least, and my parent's had put in their will that this man was to look after me. I had never met him, I had only been told stories by my father about this ex-Marine turned NCIS Agent. Hence why I was at NCIS to meet him.

As soon as I walked into the building, I was greeted by the man. He had grey hair but didn't look that old, his blue eyes were staring around the room, analysing everything that was going on. It was Leroy Jethro Gibbs, the head of the NCIS MCRT and my dad's old friend. The man who was apparently to look after me.

"Molly?" he asked quietly. His eyes seemed to soften when he saw me.

I nodded silently, slightly unnerved by the man. He had an authoritative aura surrounding him.

"Come with me," he said, leading the way, "I've... set you up a desk, for when you're not in school. I'd prefer, after everything, that you were somewhere I knew someone was keeping an eye on you. So you can do your schoolwork at the desk, if that's alright?"

I nodded again, my eyes darting around the room.

He led me to the elevator and we rode up in silence. I didn't know what to say, I was frankly terrified. What was my life going to be like now?

We arrived at the floor and Gibbs signalled for me to exit. I stared around the room in awe, it was a massive office. NCIS Agents milled about, talking cases and weekend plans. The room was an offensive orange colour, but I couldn't help smile slightly at the atmosphere I had walked into.

"Ziva, McGee, DiNozzo. This is Molly Lees," said Gibbs as he walked me towards some desks, "The kid I was telling you about."

Two men and a lady stood up and smiled at me, they all seemed much more welcoming than Gibbs had been but I was still on edge. I looked around them without much expression on my face, waiting to gauge how they really were.

"Hey. I'm Ziva David," said the lady, shaking my hand.

"Timothy McGee. Call me Tim," said one of the men.

"Tony DiNozzo! The best in the business! You may call me Super Tony!" said the other man and everyone glared at him. He was obviously the clown of the group.

"DiNozzo, shut up!" growled Gibbs, "Molly, this is your desk. Do what you want to it, you'll likely spend a lot of time here."

I went to my desk silently and took a few photos out of my bag. They were of my parents. I placed them down then leant back on my chair, staring at the computer, a small frown appearing on my face. What was even going on with my life? My parents, the government getting involved, being shipped to America... what had they been involved in?

"I think you'll like it here!" said Tony who had the desk next to me, interrupting my thoughts. He pointed at one of the photos, "Your parents?"

I nodded slowly.

"So... Are they here in Washington too?" he asked, trying to be friendly.

"No... They're dead..." I said quietly.

"Oh... I'm sorry..." he said and I nodded, staring into the distance.

"Molly, you will be staying at DiNozzo's place," said Gibbs, "I think we can wrap up for the day."

"I thought I was staying with you?" I asked, my voice small.

"We discussed what we thought the best place for you to be after everything was," Gibbs said, his voice quiet, "The decision we came to was that DiNozzo might... might be more helpful. If you're uncomfortable, I'm sure we can-"

"No," I forced a smile, "I was just... curious." 

"Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs!" came a voice. A woman was running towards us.

"Woah, Abbs! Molly, this is Abby," said Gibbs, pointing her to face me.

"Hi!" said Abby, holding out her hand.

I shook it then Tony tapped my shoulder gently, as Abby turned to relay some information to Gibbs.

"It's been a long day for you. I think we should maybe take you home," he said to me.

I felt the eyes following us as we walked to the elevator. I was still confused - why wasn't Gibbs looking after me if that was what my parents had asked for? But I wasn't in a position to be fussy - this man was willing to look after me despite not knowing me or my parents. I was lucky I hadn't just been thrown into the foster system.

We drove to his place and he showed me to the spare room. I hadn't said a word to him as he drove me back, but he didn't press me. I was struggling to keep myself together, the exhaustion mixed with the events of the previous days finally crashing down on me.

"Do you want dinner?" he asked as I looked around the empty room, save for a bed and side table.

"I'm good," I said quietly, sitting down on the bed.

"Well," he sighed softly, "If you need me, I'm the room down the hall. Just... try settle in. I'll get you up in the morning but there's no rush."

I offered him a small smile as he shut the door and left me to my own devices. I stared down at my hands, tears threatening to fall.

I'd gone from being a normal sixteen-year-old, living a normal life, to having it torn away from me. What the hell was going to happen to me? I just wanted to go home, to live like I had before. I didn't want to be in America, I didn't want to know this stupid Gibbs, I just wanted my parents!

But I knew I was being childish. They were dead and nobody could change that. I had to try and accept it, no matter how much I didn't want to. 

I rubbed my eyes angrily, throwing myself back on the bed and closing my eyes tightly. Maybe it was all just a nightmare, I'd wake up tomorrow to my mum rousing me for school, for another boring day of maths, science and English.

That hope was the only thing that stopped me from breaking down that first night.