Chapter 1: Dexter Midnight.

The news of the notorious killer, Baren Scrooch, escaping the clutches of the Supreme Council came as quite the shock to everyone, no less than the Midnight family. The news of his abrupt escape spread like wildfire throughout the citizens of Ascendancy.

It was said by numerus sources that Baren just vanished, they looked away for a second and he was gone.

Numerous wizards, mages, witches, warlocks and bounty hunters searched for the way of his escape, though non found anything. Still, they searched and searched, but found nothing. He was gone.

Though even with this notorious killer was on the loose and businesses were closing in every city, Arch Academy still stood with open arms allowing students to enter and leave. Now for a young twelve-year-old boy that was the case.

Dexter, a 12-year-old boy with light brown hair and dark purple eyes, dashed through the streets of Ascendancy. Passing magnificent silver walls and diners bustling with life, with the sun only just beginning rise, its holy glow drowning the streets with light. Dexter squeezed through the golden gates of Arch Academy, its twin towers about 100 metres apart were built with Dark red bricks. Bricks climbed up the tower moving towards the centre of the school, with the other tower copying its twin, forming an Arch, the very symbol of the great Academy.

Dexter pushed open the heavy wooden doors of the Academy with a grunt. Without a moment of hesitation, he sprinted down the grey, lifeless corridor, dodging past open lockers and fallen belongings. Turning sharply to the right, his body scraping against the wall, paint falling towards the floor before he came to an abrupt stop. Standing outside his destination was his History of magic teacher, Mr Harp. He was screwed and he knew it, taking a moment to catch his breath, he started to slowly walk towards the light blue door of which his teacher stood by.

He quietly walked by Mr Harp trying not to make a sound, his hand reached up and grabbed the doorhandle while gently pulling it down. The door opened with a soft click and Dexter mentally cursed, he waited a second to see if he had heard him but atlas it seemed he hadn't. He breathed a sigh of relief before walking into the classroom and towards his seat, suddenly, a hand grabbed his shoulder.

"Where do you think you're going, Dexter" A voice boomed behind him. Goose bumps ran through his body, and he froze, before slowly turning around. Mr Harp glared down at Dexter his piecing red eyes glowed.

"You're not sneaking around, are you?" Mr Harp questioned, despite knowing the answer.

"N-no s-sir" His voice shaking in fear.

"Why were you late, Dexter?" Asked Mr Harp.

"My Parents were worried about that killer that escaped, you know, and they kept me back a bit." Replied Dexter.

"Likely story. But that is something your parents would do." Dexter let out a sigh of relief. "I'll let you off this one time you hear me. Do not be late again!" Mr Harp finished. "Now go sit down" He ordered while motioning to a seat in the back of the classroom.

Dexter quickly followed the order and sat in his seat at the back. Mr Harp continued the lesson as if nothing had happened. Today's lesson was on the different types of magic in world, such as necromancy, elemental type magic, spells, mind magic and visual magic. Mr Harp decided he'd showcase his magic, visual deconstruction. Which did as the name suggests destroys any inanimate object in his vision. He turned his fiery red eyes towards a notebook and simply turned it to dust, leaving the class in awe.

"That was soo cool!" was shouted by many of the students, as well as "I want to do that!"

"Alright quiet down class, we still need to finish the lesson." Stated Mr Harp in his usual expressionless voice.

The class as usual instantly quietened, not wanting to be on the receiving end of his glowing eyes.

"That's good, now where was I?" Questioned Mr Harp before remembering that he was talking about elemental type magic.

"A yes, elemental type magic is quite strong. The Supreme Council mostly has elemental type users in their ranks." Mr harp waited a moment for his students to quiet down "Despite popular belief, Elemental type magic does not in fact give you control over all the elements" There was around of "wait what, that's so lame!" from the students at the front.

"Silence!" Mr Harp's voice boomed in the classroom, silencing everyone.

"I haven't finished speaking yet" He stated in a calm voice. "Elemental type magic grants the user minor control over one element that is randomly selected at birth. The element is usually passed on from the parent to child, though there are some cases of the child having a different element."

"Elemental type magic is the most common magic type that people use, why is that?" questioned Mr Harp.

Amy Roser, a tall girl with shoulder length chalk white hair and dark void like eyes raised their hand "It's because everyone can do elemental type magic, unlike Elemental compound magic."

"That is correct miss Roser, and we will be looking at Elemental compound type magic when you start to learn magic." Mr Harp said.

"Now that reminds me, on Monday next week we will begin to learn magic, so be prepared." Mr Harp stated casually.

"Yes, finally we can learn magic! We have been waiting for ages for this!" Erupted throughout the classroom from every single student. Mr Harp could only sit down and sip his coffee knowing he couldn't calm them down.

The rest of school past by quickly for the bubbly year 8 class who were too over-joyed to notice the judging stares from the other classes, though that statement wasn't true to three people in the class.

Dexter Midnight saw the judging stares of everyone else in the dining hall aimed at his class. He knew why though; his class was the only class in the school that didn't have rich and noble family members in. Thus, this class was given the nickname the "Poor Class" by the rest of their peers and upper-class men and women despite not being poor at all. Dexter hated the rest of school, they just acted spoilt and literally got away with everything, most of the time their punishment would be put on the "Poor Class".

Still though he did nothing to provoke them and tried his hardest to block out the hundreds of stares while he walked towards his classes table. The tables are sorted into the classes and a student could only sit at their class table or risk punishment. As he finally got within ear shot of his classes table, he could make out bits of their conversation. "I can't believe it! Were finally going to learn magic, this is the best day ever!" squealed a thin golden blonde-haired girl who had bright baby blue eyes name Sofie. Sofie was currently chatting to her black-haired, brown eyed boyfriend Max about the first lessons announcement and how they just couldn't wait for Monday.

As Dexter sat at the furthest corner away from the rest of his class and dug into his food, he heard a voice ask him "Hey Dexter come over here" It was Max, Dexter although cautious moved closer to the rest of his class who were talking about what magic they wanted to try and learn.

Amy had stated they wanted, no had "chalk magic" which was a type of Elemental Compound Magic. Which had obviously amazed everyone.

Sofie had said "I really hope I can do mind magic."

Everyone else had already stated what magic they wanted to study before Dexter got there leaving him as the only person who hadn't said anything. "So, Dexter what magic do you want?" Questioned Max. "I erm want to study necromancy." He hesitantly mumbled. The class froze. Silence fell over the class, nobody dared to speak. It was a surprise to all of them that one of their classmates wanted to practice a magic that was oh so dark and evil.

"But that magic is so hard and boring!" Said a big muscular boy named Mark. Dexter said quietly "I find it to be quite cool though."

"That's your decision them." Said one of his classmates he couldn't remember the name of. "Guess it fits your personality then." Said another.

A loud deafening ring ran throughout the school, symbolizing the end of lunch.

"Alright then time to head to P.E then." Stated the class president Samuel; a tall man with darkened skin who held a powerful and confident stature.