Chapter 15: The District of hell.

"I hate you." Dexter grumbled.

"Hate is such a strong word, I think dislike would suit you better." Kai replied.

"I still hate you and your words aren't going to fix that." Dexter growled.

Now you may be wondering why this sudden hatred for Kai has popped up all of a sudden in our beloved Dexter, but I can tell you his anger is alright in these circumstances. Kai's car had broken down halfway through the Red-Light District and Kai being as impatient as ever decided to walk the other five God damn miles, purely for plot reasons. So, as you can see his anger is very relevant to the plot right now and totally not because I wanted him to be angry for no good reason. Anyway, back to the mess of a plot- I mean story.

The duo walked down the long-crowed street, full of filthy beggars covered in poo and ugly prostitutes clinging to men in hopes of getting their attention. Something warm and squishy fell under Dexter's boot imprinting the brown substance into the ground. Dexter disgusted by this tried to scrape it of using the cracked pavement.

A shout rang out, church bells beginning to ring, people all around them pulling out dirty clothes and wrapping them around their face. 

"Kai, do you have any idea why their doing this?" Dexter asked puzzled.

"I think I have an idea." Kai answered him while pointing to a thick black fog invading the streets.

"Quick cover your mouth and nose!" Kai yelled. Dexter pulled out his old mask and pulled it over his head, Kai pulled up the hem of his shirt just before the toxic fog enveloped them. The thick black smoke hung to Dexter's form squeezing his bones, ripping the breath from him. His eyes watered, a thick darkness wrapping around his face slipping in-between the gaps of his mask flooding his lung like a poison. Pain coursed through him, fire burning through his veins, sweat soaking his body as his body tried to destroy this invader from within. Another wave of pain swept through his body, destroying any resistance his limbs had left. His body smashed into the rough cold tarmac zapping his body of the warmth he craved.

In the corner of his vision, he could faintly see an old wrinkly man with a bead as white as snow walking towards him Kai already heaved over his shoulder. The man pointed his hand at Dexter and muttered some words Dexter didn't understand before a soft green light enveloped him, pushing back the toxin in his body. The man raised his hand again this time pointing to the sky and chanting some strange foreign words before a pulse of green light shot into abyss exploding across the sky, vanquishing the black fog easily.

"Wh-who are you?" Dexter rasped out, struggling to breath.

"Ah, me well I'm the cleanser of this district." The man told him.

"Cleanser? No what's your actual name." Dexter relied firmly.

"Oh, my name, you must forgive this silly old man for his misunderstanding-" The man started before being cut off.

"Name."

"Right, right, sorry the names Clive, Clive Darkly nice to meet you, what's your name any way?" The man, Clive asked.

"Dexter, Dexter Midnight and my friend on your back is Kai." Dexter answered Clive's question.

"Right then come with me." Clive turned and began walking away but suddenly stopped when he realized Dexter wasn't following him.

"What makes you think I'll come with you?" Dexter asked the man defiantly.

"Well, if you don't come with me, I'll kill your little friend here." Clive motioned towards Kai's unconscious form.

"You wouldn't kill him, not unless you want to go to prison." Dexter stated.

"That may be so, but it hasn't stopped me before." Clive said a smirk on his lips. Dexter shivered slightly at the man's obvious hint.

 "Fine, just don't hurt him plea-" Dexter's pleads were cut off by a blood curdling scream erupting from a nearby alleyway. A woman exploded out of the darkness, eyes in utter terror. Two bony arms grasped the womans, pulling her back into the abyss. 

"Wh-what the hell!" A tall muscular man yelled before he charged into the unknown. Another scream, more masculine cut through the air like a knife. The beings of the dark marched into the light, bone bodies on full view. Hundreds of silky white skeletons stood at the foot of the alleyway, in the distance an ear shattering horn could be heard before the army rained upon them.

A skeleton lurched forward trying to stab Dexter with its iron sword which he easily dodged. Dexter closed his eyes for a moment listening to the shadows before he thrust his hand forward darkness exploding out of the ground wrapping itself around the skeletons core before yanking it out with popping sound. Before he even had time to celebrate his minor victory, another skeleton jumped towards him kneeing him in the stomach. The breath was shot out of him as he struggled to stand but managed to pull through and smashed his closed fist into its skull. 

The skeleton was unfaced by its attacker and instead grasped his throat. The skeleton's eyes glowed, black lightning shooting through them into Dexter. A scream, then a gun shot and the smell of gunpowder and a man with jet black hair and crimson red eyes stood before him, Wilbur Midnight his father.