Chapter 5: The Temple of Anubis.

Dexter stood below the temple. It towered over him with its 10 obsidian black pillars holding up the overly large entrance that had two large wooden doors fit with twin golden handles. Behind the entrance stood the rest of the structure a large black pyramid that stood taller than anything else in the area, it had to have been almost double the size of the apartment complex to left of it. Two rows of concrete stairs led the way to the door's large statues of a tall humanoid jackal with a large golden head piece and necklace. This was Anubis the God of death, the one who gave humanity an afterlife.

Dexter walked quietly into the temple marveling at how big it was before his expression turned uncaring as he muttered under his breath, "Damn Anubis and petty little followers."

"Did you say something?" A lone Necromancer asked confused.

"Yes, I did, I want to know why you only worship Anubis and not Thanatos, the lesser death." Dexter asked annoyed, his voice sounding older than its body.

"Well, some of do but not all of because Anubis is the main God of death and gave us an afterlife you know, while Thanatos was just a part of Anubis's broken soul so in a way, they are the same person." She answered calmly.

"I'm not-I mean they're not the same person though they act different according to stories." Dexter fumbled.

"Ah ok well are you new here or something I've never seen you around here before?" She questioned.

"Yeah, I guess you could say I'm new around here, I'm looking for my uncle Brim Midnight miss erm...." Dexter stated

"Holly, Holly Burn, and who might you be?" Holly asked.

"Dexter, Dexter Midnight." He answered her.

"Alright then Dexter you should find your uncle down that hall, the 4th door down." She told him while pointing to the corridor to her right.

"Thanks Miss, hope you survive when He comes>" said Dexter ominously.

Dexter turned towards the corridor and followed Holly's directions towards a tall grey door with his uncle's name on a slab of metal.

He knocked on the door waiting a couple seconds for his uncle to open the door.

"Come in, come in Dexter." Brim called.

Dexter walked into the room confident that he could learn anything Brim would teach him. Brim stood above a small pile of skeletons while holding a stack of papers with a bunch of symbols on. No not symbols, Dexter thought, Runes.

"Why have you got a bunch of runes, Brim?" Questioned Dexter.

"Well, you will need these runes for the next part of your studies, controlling a skeleton." Answered Brim.

"Huh, but can't we just use the necro-stone?" A confused Dexter asked Brim.

"Necro-stones are used on the dead that still have nerves, while runes are used on skeletons to act like nerves for the necro-stone to latch onto." Answered Brim. 

"Okay, Brim I think I understand it." Dexter said.

"Okay Dexter I'm going to showcase what runes you need to add to the various joints and then you're going to try and copy them from memory, is that alright?" Brim told Dexter, with a question at the end.

"Yeah, okay I can do this." Dexter spoke a small part of himself coming out at the end. Brim held out eight papers each with their own joint written above. Dexter grabbed the papers and began drawing symbols on the skeleton. On the head he drew a large circle with a triangle in it pointing towards the center of the skeletons body. At the top of the skeleton's shoulders, he drew a triangle pointing towards the center of the skeleton with and 'x' at each point. For the elbow it was practically the same except for the 'x' being replaced by a 'Q'. The finger runes were just straight lines with a circle around the knuckles, same for the toes but with a square instead. At the hip he drew a semi-circle with a triangle pointing towards the center of the skeleton. Finally, the knee had an oval shape inside a triangle.

"Done." Dexter said with no emotion in his voice.

"Alright then just channel you're magic into the necro-stone again and place it into the skeletons ribcage." Brim told him.

Dexter did as asked pouring his magic into the necro-stone until it glowed. Then with an uncaring expression on his face he placed it inside the skeleton's ribcage, for a moment nothing happened, and Dexter was convinced he had done something wrong before a pulse of black light exploded out of the stone lighting up the runes. Dexter raised his hand instinctively shooting magic into his fingertips only being mildly surprised when thin purple strings erupted out of his finger latching onto the runes like it was a puppet.

He moved his fingers and the skeleton stood although slightly shaking, it took a step wobbled before standing tall.

"Bravo, bravo Dexter, you did it, call me surprised." Brim said shocked.

"Of course, I did why is it a surprise?" Dexter asked cockily.

"It should have taken you a couple of tries at least, you're a prodigy." Brim answered Dexter's question loudly.

"Ah that makes sense, I guess I am a prodigy." Said Dexter.

"Yes, I need to tell my brother how good you are at necromancy." Declared Brim.

"Hey, wait don't do that they don't need to know right now it could just be luck." Dexter lied not wanting him to tell his parents how good he was at necromancy.

"Sure, I won't tell them it's your decision anyway." Brim told him.

"Thanks, Brim" Dexter said as he began to leave the temple giving a quick goodbye to Holly as he left. He passed a room a smashed metal box looking like it had been ripped open, with an inscription saying blade of... The rest of the text was gone ripped of the plate.

As soon as the temple was out of sight, Dexter's expression changed from uncaring to terrified as he wondered what the hell just happened, it must of been Them. They were here