27. 𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗼𝗼𝗹 𝗸𝗶𝗱𝘀

"HALLOWEEN'S A MAGICAL HOLIDAY."

Billy sped down the stairs and turned around the corner, talking aloud to himself; the boy was dressed in his costume and ready for a night of trick-or-treating. He wore a band around his head, a makeshift cape, a basic gray long-sleeve, dark bottoms, and some gloves he cut to resemble Eszter's. Billy got the idea from Eszter after she and Pietro finished talking, and they met the boys inside; the teenager suggested Billy buy the gloves and insisted she'd make them look cooler for him.

Eszter glanced up from the magazine she busied herself with, eyes trailing after Billy as she wondered who he was talking to, but there were only two people in the living room--other than her, Pietro was knocked out on the long couch. After their trip to the store, Pietro declared he needed a quick nap before they went out for the night; with his speed, Pietro had to sleep more to accommodate the changes in his body. His metabolism burns a lot faster than an average person, which means he has to eat more than average, and he gets tired quicker than most.

"All about family, friends, and the thrill of getting to be someone else for a day."

"Wrong!" shouted Tommy. He peeled open the flaps of the milk, walking backward toward the table. "Halloween's about candy. And scaring people," Tommy grins. "But most candy."

"Tommy, you know you gotta dress up to get candy, right?" commented Eszter. She twisted on the single couch and abandoned her magazine, propping her arms on the back of the sofa, resting her chin over her hand. "You should've gotten something when we were at the store."

"This is my costume, Auntie E," Tommy claims, gesturing to his outfit, which is not a costume. Eszter sends Tommy a playful look, tipping her head down as her lips crack a small smile. "I'm the cool twin."

"What does the make me?" wondered Billy with uncertainty.

"Hmm," hummed Tommy thoughtfully. He paused as he recalled a funny memory. "A dorksaurus rex."

Billy's face drops. "Not a real dinosaur."

Eszter gives Tommy a stern look. "Hey, be nice to your brother," the boy glanced guiltily at his aunt. Their teenage aunt is fun to hang out with, but sometimes, Eszter is like their second mom. "There's nothing wrong with dressing up for Halloween."

"Sorry, Auntie E," apologized Tommy with a shy smile. Eszter merely smiled in gratitude before turning right-side on the couch. Tommy and Billy walked into the living room with their aunt and uncle, greeted by one of Pietro's loud snores. "Man, he even snores cool."

Eszter furrows her brows at the compliment, scoffing loud as she glances at the boys. "Trust me, it's not," Eszter rolls her eyes. She picks up the magazine again and averts her attention.

"I'm gonna wake him up."

Billy's eyes widened as if he was horrified by the suggestion; he quickly stopped Tommy before he could get any closer. "Don't!" whispered Billy. He pulls his brother back, eyeing Pietro's sleeping form warily.

"You scared?" taunted Tommy, grinning to himself in amusement.

Swallowing his nervousness, Billy looked at Tommy as if he was crazy. "He's our uncle," defended Billy. "Why would I be scared?"

"'Cause it's four o'clock in the afternoon," stated Tommy. "You're secretly afraid he's a vampire."

Eszter hummed at the idea. "I wouldn't be surprised he's actually a zombie," she muttered out into the room. She didn't know whether or not the twins heard her, but she didn't intend for either of them to acknowledge it. Eszter was merely thinking out loud.