Panic in the Mines

As we made our way into the caves to get drip stone for our base, Grian stopped walking. "Hey. I'm sorry for being a jerk. I just... I don't want to die first."
"Well, neither do I, Grian..."
"I know.... I didn't mean it that way, you know that Scar..."
I just nod and go ahead of him, collecting some drip stone.
"I'm sorry, Scar..."

Grian's P.O.V.

I really messed up, didn't I...? I just follow him and help him get drip stone.

------------------------------------------------------------------

After a while, scar starts wandering of by himself. I try to stay close, but not too close to not be overbearing.
Suddenly I hear the dreaded sound of a skulk sensor going off.
"SCAR, STOP!" He dosnt respond, he just keeps mining. I run over to him, "SCAR!!!" Right as he mines the next block, he trips over a rock and I grab his arm as he nearly falls into the deep dark.
As I carefully pull him back onto his feet I can see the fear filling his eyes, all the blood flushed from his face, looking almost like a ghast.
"A-Are you okay Scar?" I ask, my heart also racing.
"U-Uh.... Y-Yeah...." I can see his hands shaking.
I carefully guide him to a stone for him to sit down, and I sit next to him.
We sit in silence for a few minutes as our heart rates return to normal. 
"I'm sorry Grian.... I should have listened to you...."
"I shouldn't have been a jerk..."
"It's okay..you had good reason to be scared."
"Listen, Scar. I say this because you're my friend, and my soulmate, you're not allowed in the deep dark. Okay?"
"No problem with that. That was terrifying."  He says, still obviously scared.
"Hey, let's head up and get started on the base." I say, standing up and offering him my hand.
He nods and we head back up to the surface.

I lay out the shape of the base and tell him how high to build it "I'll be right back, ok Scar?"
"Wait... You're trusting me to be alone..?"
"Mhm. Besides I'll only be gone a few minutes."
"Thanks" he says with a smile.

I run off to the river to check if the sugar cane is still there, and it is. Jackpot! I quickly grab it, making sure no one saw, and head back to help scar with the base. After we've gotten the first wall finished we take a break.

I look around to make sure no one's around and i whisper to Scar, "Guess what."
"Hmm?"
"I took all the sugar cane."
"REALLY?"
"Mhm! I'm gonna find a good place to hide it and grow more. Don't tell anyone, okay?"
"I won't I promise. This is gonna be so much fun."

"Hey Grian, hey Scar!" I hear pearl come up behind me.
"Oh, hey pearl. What happened with you and Scott?"
" He divorced me" she said, "all I have left is Tilly."
"I-... Divorced?" Scar asked, sounding a bit worried.
"Yeah. He thought I cheated on him..."
"I didn't know that was possible, don't worry Scar, i won't leave you." I tell him with a warm smile.
"Well...." She hops on scars horse and leaves, "bye!"
"HEY! COME BACK!" scar yells, running after her.
"Be careful scar!"
I sigh as I watch my clumsy soulmate run off after his horse, just secretly praying he dosnt die.

While I wait for him to get back i go ahead and gather more wood to make the next wall of our base.
Scott comes running up, "how you doing?"
"I'm okay. What happened with you and pearl?"
He rolls his eyes "she went into the nether, not bothering to find her soulmate. She put herself before her soulmate that's what happened."
"Ah I see."
"How's it going with scar? He scare you yet?"
"Uhm.... Y-Yeah..."
"What's wrong?"
"He almost fell into the deep dark. But.... Usually I'd be mad, but for some reason I'm not..... Im just, relieved that he didn't fall..."
"Well, I'm sure anyone would be. Its scar after all"
"No, it's... Different. I don't know how to explain it."
"Well I'm sure everything will be okay in the end"
"Yeah..."

As scar returns, I've almost finished the second wall.
"Nice progress!"
"I see you didn't get your horse back?"
I can see his heart sinking "i promise we'll get it back scar, dont worry"
"Anything you need?"
"Yeah could you find a good spot to hid the sugar cane for farming?"
"Of course! Toss it here"
I hesitantly drop it down to him.
"On it!"

Why am I trusting him? Its so obvious that he might lose it, or worse. He is easily bribed... Why am I suddenly trusting him with something so important?

After scar returns I ask where he hid it, and it sounds like a good spot, I don't think anyone will find it.
"So, since we found the ancient city, me and the others are gonna go enchant things, gimme the things you want enchanted."
He drops his armor and tools "you know you're gonna have to sit in a box right? I don't want you getting killed"
"Yeah I know." He dosnt seem mad...?

He digs a hole in the ground and burries himself. "Well be back in a bit. Stay safe Scar."

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is scar behaving?" Impulse asked me as we made our way down to the ancient city.
"I'd appreciate if you didn't act like he was a child who can't be trusted"
"Well," Big B started, "he kind of is isn't he?"
I impulsively hit him "No he's not!"
"Jeez Grian..." Ren says, "you don't need to get all worked up. We just thought you felt that way because the way you acted during the beginning."
"He's not a child. He's an adult, and I trust him..."
Everyone was silent the rest of the time, which was good, because the proximity mod made us talking, set off the skulk sensors, which would wake up the warden.

When we get back to the surface, Scar isn't where he was
"SCAR??" I run around trying to find him. "SCAR WHERE ARE YOU?!"

I start taking damage and my heart drops. "SCAARRRR!!!!!"
"Grian?"
"SCAR WHERE'D YOU GO??!"
I see him wandering over back to the base with a heard of pandas following him, "oh thank god...."
"Are you okay Grian?"
"Yeah. I knew nothing happened, cus I never took damage, but, I didn't know where you were. I was scared you went rogue like Pearl and wanted to divorce me. Like Scott did to her."
"No. Just thought we could get some pets" he said with a big smile on his face"
I catch my breath, "well, they're not staying in the base. You're gonna have to make another thing for them to stay in."
"But whyyyyy"
"Because I said so." I tell him, tossing his newly enchanted gear at him.
"Well, I suppose that's okay. Thanks for enchanting my stuff."
"Mhm. Im gonna finish this later while you make something for the pandas"
"Sounds good"

God Scar scares me so much, but I don't think I could really get mad at him. He's just a little distracted. I don't know why I got so mad when they called him a child. Usually I would just joke around back with them.... Why did it bother me so much this time.....?