Thirty Balloons ✔️

(Chapter 4)

(Chapter 4)

I walked into the gym, to see Jay and Antonio there.

"Jazzercise is like, a block South." Jay joked.

"Yeah,nice muscle tee." I commented.

"This is perfectly acceptable attire for the boxing gym." Jay said.

"No,absolutely. And the bonus is you don't have to change later when you break-dance." I said and Antonio laughed.

"Voight's kid." Antonio said when he looked to the door.

"Justin." I called him over. "This is Antonio and Jay. I work with them. Antonio's buddy owns the gym, hence the 30% discount."

"20%. Nice try." Antonio exclaimed.

"All right."

"How you doing?" Jay asked Justin and stuck his hand out, but Justin didn't shake it.

"I gotta make some calls." Justin said and walked away.

"He's one of my best friends. I'm just trying to keep him out of trouble." I explained.

"Good luck." Antonio said.

"Just give him a shot." I pleaded. I kicked the boxing bag and walked away.

*****

Jay and I drove to work.

"All I'm saying is Justin looks like an uphill battle." Jay said as we got out of the car.

"The kid lost his mother and then did a year in prison. He just needs to get his bearings." I remarked.

"Did you see the attitude he gave me in the gym?" Jay asked.

"If I had just gotten out of Stateville and had been made to shake hands with a bunch of cops, I would've had the exact same attitude." I replied.

"I don't think it's so much I'm a cop as much as Justin thinks I'm your boyfriend." Jay teased with a smile.

"You wish." I chuckled.

"You wish." Jay said.

"No,you wish." I said as I playfully shoved his shoulder.

*****

"What do we got?" Hank asked as Lindsay, and me walked in to the hospital.