Prologue

🚨I DO NOT OWN PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN OR DISNEY🚨

1713

<*>

It was a surprisingly calm night on the lovely merchant island of Saint Martin. The month was November --late November— and many trading ships were already docked for the winter meaning that the small British, Dutch, and French population of 394 was all that were currently living there. That was except for a medium sized Spanish trading vessel along with its crew that were unloading what seemed to be boxes of supplies for the small town, before making its way back to Spanish territory in La Pascua, Florida to dock for the rest of the long winter months.

All was quiet throughout the sleeping town and even the crew refrained from making any noise. This, however, was all disrupted when the quickening click of the small footsteps of a 12 year old girl, quietly echoed off the many buildings. She luckily remained unbeknownst to the sleeping town and the crew of the Spanish ship that she happened to be running towards. The girl wore a long white nightgown and her black hair was tied up with dainty curls that had fallen into her small skinny face as she ran. Her flat leather shoes gave reason to believe that she came from a well off family that probably descended from England. She however did not look well off. Tears streaked her face causing hair to stick to it making seeing in front of her challenging while mud from the dirt roads caked up on the hem of her dress and bottoms of her shoes. Though she had all these distractions, her running did not falter and the determination in her face never fell; she knew exactly where she was going. She was going to board that merchant ship.

Each house, light post, or store front brought back memories associated with the place. These memories only made her ambition to leave stronger as voices rang throughout her head.

"Have you found your daughter a suiter yet?"

"Oh you're growing up to be a gorgeous young woman, you will make a man VERY happy!"

"You have to pretend to be happy for your husband."

"Did you see that boy in class; you two would be a sight for sore eyes."

"Getting married young makes the chances of having children larger."

"Getting Married"

"Get Married"

"Marriage is a happy thing."

"Just look at your parents."

Look at my parents. Thoughts of her parents then began to run though her mind.

"HOW COULD YOU BE SO DAFT!!"

"I DESPISE YOU!"

"You should've NEVER been born Charlotte!"

"YOU'VE RUINED OUR LIVES!"

The last thought finally took over her body as Charlotte's legs went numb and she collapsed on the dock where the ship was stationed just as the crew finished unloading and retired for the night. Rain started to fall upon the island joining her falling tears. The one relationship that children should look to was ruined. Her parents didn't love each other and it was all because of her...

Alice Combe, Charlotte's mother, became pregnant with her at the age of 14 with the father being Charles Bamford, an 18 year old boy who came over with British explorers. The sudden pregnancy forced Charles to marry Alice so he could provide for their child and please the nagging society. The two of them barely knew each other and they learned to equally hate the other. They did however loathe someone even more and that was Charlotte, their kind well mannered daughter, for supposedly causing all their problems. Being told that she was the issue after years and years of listening to her parents fight caused her to believe just that. This was her chance to leave her parents' lives and give them the life they wanted. She truly loved them however hard their treatment to her was and she was willing to do anything to make them happy again. She prided herself on the happiness of others.