chapter twelve

TW: mention of needles and substance abuse !!

I lay in bed staring at the ceiling for about an hour until I heard Harry come lay down. I pretty much immediately went to the common room and began editing a vlog from my Paris trip.

Everyone tells me to just hire an editor because it'll save me so much time and I have the money to spare, but editing is my favorite part. It also makes me feel like I'm really earning the money I make because of all the time and effort I put into my videos. It's dumb and having an editor doesn't take away from an influencer's work, but that's just the way I feel.

I googled mapped how far we are from the hotel, and there are only about 25 minutes left. So far Josalyn has stayed in her bunk the whole time and Grant along with the other team members have been up and down a bit. Currently, a tall browned haired boy around my age is sitting on the couch across from me tapping away on his computer.

We spoke a little and I learned that his name is Sage and he is Grant's assistant. He also told me he was starving and hates purple grapes. Other than that we've both worked silently across from one another.

I found myself wanting Harry to walk in here. Why? I don't know. He most likely wouldn't speak to me and if he did I would be left irritated and confused. He never came though. I've spent the last 20 minutes staring at the ceiling while reclining in the chair; drifting in and out to the sound of keyboard clicks and the classical music blasting from Sage's headphones.

feeling restless, I stand from my chair to keep from falling asleep and stretch out my limbs, relishing in the release of all the tension in my body. I catch Sage staring at my midriff and scrunch my eyebrows down letting out a small chuckle.

He notices and immediately turns red and averts his eyes to his computer. I go grab 2 bottles of water and hold one up to sage, asking if he wants one as I know he can't hear me speak from the music still playing.

At the offer, he mumbles out a "yes please" and decides to take out his headphones and close his laptop.

"I watch your youtube videos." He tells me as he reaches across the island to take the water.

"Oh yeah?" I smile

"Yeah, I never miss a post." He pauses and I see a blush tints his cheeks. "I probably didn't need to tell you that."

I giggle, "No, I'm flattered. It's nice to know that people besides 13-year-old girls enjoy my content."

He relaxes at my response. "Oh gosh, when I was in high school all of the guys were obsessed with you and all the girls wanted to be you. You have the youth of America in a chokehold, Roxanne."

Now it's my turn to blush. I clear my throat and let out a nervous laugh, "No pressure, right?"

He just laughs and we stay silent for a few moments as we sip on our water.

"I was surprised when I found out you and Harry were a thing," Sage says, breaking the silence.

"Yeah most people were, and still are."

"You and your ex, what's his name again?" He asks, hunting for Shea's name as he snaps his fingers.

"Shea." I finish for him.

"Yeah, Shea. You guys always seemed so good together. But I guess things aren't always what they seem."

"You've got that right," I agree.

Normally being probed and my personal life being discussed by a stranger would make me beyond uncomfortable and I would feel the need to be meticulous about each and every response, but Sage's interest seems genuine so I don't stress.