Chapter 1

*Steve's POV*

I was running along the Abraham Memorial in Washington D.C. and I see a man running in front of me. But my speed is faster than his because of the super soldier serum. So, what the heck, why not mess with him a little. As I start to pass him I say, "On your left." I do that at least 3 times and he gets annoyed saying, "Don't say it! Don't say it!" but I say it anyway and he tries to run faster but fails. I see him sitting leaning on a tree panting and that's when I ask, "Need a medic?"

"I need a new set of lungs." he says, "Dude, you ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes."

"Guess I got a late start."

"Really, you should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap. Did you just take it? I assume you just took it."

"What unit you in?"

"58th Para rescue, but now I'm working down at the VA."

He asks me for a hand up and says, "Sam Wilson." I help him up, "Steve Rogers." I reply. "Yeah, trying to put that together" he says getting up. I stare at him with my hands on my hips, "Must've freaked you out coming home after the de-frosting" he says. I sigh at that and say to him, "Takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam." I start to leave when he calls out, "It's your bed, right?"

I turn back to him, "What's that?"

"Your bed, it's too soft. When I was over there I slept on the ground, used a rock as a pillow like a caveman. Now I'm home and I'm lying on my bed it's like..."

"Lying on a marshmallow." I begin to interrupt, "Feel like I'm gonna sink right to the floor."

He nods in agreement and smiles that's when I ask him, "How long?". He replies, "2 tours. You must miss the good old days, huh?". The conversation goes on and on as I start to bond with Sam. He seems to get me entirely just coming out of the battlefields experiencing the war like I did. I start to tell him how I'm getting used to this century how we boiled everything, the internet was so helpful, etc. "Marvin Gaye, 1972, Trouble man soundtrack. Everything jammed into one album." he says and I take out my little journal in my back pocket. "I'll put it on the list" I say raising an eyebrow and scribbling the album in my journal along with other things I jotted down such as 'I Love Lucy' (Television), Moon Landing, Berlin Wall (Up + Down), Steve Jobs (Apple), Disco, Thai Food, Star Wars/ Trek, Nirvana (Band), and Rocky (Rocky II?).

Just then I hear a beep go off from my phone and see a message saying that there is a mission alert. Extraction imminent. Meet at the curb. "Alright, Sam, duty calls. Thanks for the run. If that's what you wanna call running." I say jokingly. "Oh, so that's how it is!" he says in surprise and grins. I nod as I shake his hand and he says ok. He tells me if I wanna stop by the VA to make him look good at the girl in the front desk. I nod and head to the curb and see a black mustang pull up. The window rolls down and I see Agent Hill at the drivers seat asking non-chalantly, "Hey fellas, either of you know where the Smithsonian Museum is, I'm here to pick up a fossil." "That's hilarious" I say to her sarcastically as I get in the car. "Can't run everywhere." I say to Sam who is crouching. "No, you can't" he replies and we drive off to S.H.I.E.L.D.

****

As I'm about to leave for the mission Fury calls me and tells me to come over. "Captain Rogers, I'd like you to meet our newest agent, Breena Garcia." he says motioning to a young girl with long curled brown hair, brown eyes, and wearing a navy blue S.H.I.E.L.D. uniform. "You can call me by my code name if you'd like. It's, Athena." she says as I shake her hand. "Athena, as in the Greek goddess of wisdom and war?" I ask and she nods with a smile. "She'll be joining you on your mission. She has a comm and microphone all set to go." Fury says. I nod and motion her to follow me.