Chapter 3

When we get to S.H.I.E.L.D. I change into my uniform and head to Pierce's office since I was told to do so. As I walk there I see Kate talking to Pierce and as I pass by her I hear her say, "Captain Rogers". "Neighbor" I respond to her sounding a bit cold but I was pissed that this secret was kept from me. "Ah, Captain. I'm Alexander Pierce." he says sticking out his hand to shake. "Sir, it's an honor." I say shaking his hand he looked a little shocked when I came to his office though. "The honor is mine Captain. My father served in the hundred and first." he says motioning me into his office. I walk in and he gives me a file filled with pictures of Fury, "That photo was taken 5 years after Nick and I met. When I was at state department in Borneo. ELN rebels took the embassy and security got me out. But the rebels took hostages. Nick was deputy chief of the S.H.I.E.L.D. station there and he comes to me with a plan." He tells me Fury's plan of going in through the sewers and etc.

Both Pierce and I sit down on the couch and he says, "Nick had ignored my direct order and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil. But he saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter."

"So you gave him a promotion." I say.

"I never had any cause to regret." he says staring at me, "Captain, why was Nick at your apartment last night?"

"I don't know"

"Did you know it was bugged?"

"I did. 'Cause Nick told me."

"Did he tell you that he was the one who bugged it?"

I look at him with confusion and thought to myself, did Nick really lie to me again. I'm sure he wouldn't considering he knows that I was frozen for almost 70 years. Just to think about my past brings the conclusion to when Bucky fell off the train in one of our missions. I was devastated about it and still am. But then again it's Nick Fury, and like Tony Stark would say 'his secrets have secrets' . "I want you to see something" Pierce says pulling me out of my thoughts. I turn to the screen and see Batroc in an interrogation room with S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

"Is that live?" I ask.

"Yeah, they picked him up last night in a not-so-safe house."

"Are you saying he's a suspect? Assasination isn't Batroc's line."

"No, it's more complicated than that. Batroc was hired anonymously to attack the Lemurian star, he was contacted through e-mail and paid by wired transfer and then the money was run through 17 of audacious accounts. Last one to a holding company registered to a Jacob Veetch"

"Am I supposed to know who that is?"

"No, Veetch died 6 years ago. His last address was 1435 Elmers Dr. When I first met Nick, his mother lived in 1437."

"Are you saying Fury hired the pirates? Why?"

"The prevailing theory? Was that the hijacking was a cover for the accusation and sale. Classified intelligence. Sale went sour and that led to Nick's death."

"If you really knew Nick Fury, you'd know that's not true."

"Why do you think we're talking?"

He got off the couch and started to walk away. I got up too standing in the same place I'm in. "See, I took a seat in the council not because I wanted to but because Nick asked me to. Because we were both realists. We knew that despite all the diplomacy and the handshaking and the rendering. We could really create a better world?" he says it question-like leaning against the window. "Sometimes, we gotta tear the old one down, and that makes enemies." he turns to face me again. I look at him my hands on my buckle and look at him with a serious face. He starts to walk towards me again and says, "Those people that call you dirty because you got the guts to stick your hands in the mud and try to build something better. Any idea that those people could be happy today? Makes me really, really angry." his hands in his pockets leaning on the desk trying to intimidate me.