𝔜𝔬𝔲'𝔩𝔩 ℜ𝔢𝔤𝔯𝔢𝔱 𝔈𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶 𝔚𝔬𝔯𝔡

"Nineteen people and two dogs were hanged, one person was pressed to death, an, at the very least, four people died in prison." Mr. Wang sits on the edge of his desk scanning our faces. "These are the deaths directly associated with the Manyeo Witch Trials. But, as many of you know, the repercussions had a far greater reach. Many families suffered for generations, lost their property, went into debt from their stay in jail, and were emotionally shattered.

"I ask this question every year to my students, and I will ask you. What was the cause of the Manyeo Witch Trials? Were the factors complex and entangled? Or was there one major factor that drove them forward? Was it politics, religion, culture, or just plain hysteria? As we navigate these essays you're writing, and as we prepare for the reenactment, we'll continue to examine these questions. Any preliminary answers are welcome."

Soojung raises her manicured hand, sporting a diamond-studded skull ring.

Mr. Wang nods. "Soojung."

"Bae Changbin," she replies. "The main cause was Bae Changbin."

Sehun roll his eyes. I appreciate that he know how ridiculous she is.

"He was an expert in witchcraft," she says, "which he studied for many years prior to the Manyeo Witch Trials, waiting for his opportunity to discover some. Then he consulted on a witchcraft case in Suwoon and arrogantly wrote a book about it. This book became a bestseller and provided the map for what happened three years later in Manyeo." She pauses, then adds, "Some people don't know when to quit. And their actions get people killed."

Talk about arrogance. I know she had something to do with that rock.

"Well-thought-out answer, Soojung," says Mr. Wang.

Soojung turns toward me, wearing a dangerous look. I stare back at her, not willing to concede that I'm bothered. The hair on my arms stands up, and she raises an eyebrow before she turns away.

"Great." Mr. Wang looks around the room. "Any other theories?" The class is silent. No one dares answer after Sojung. "If not, we'll take five minutes to discuss with your partners."

There's a two-second pause, and then everyone erupts into chatter.

"Suzy—" Sehun starts in a consoling tone.

"It's fine, Sehun, really. Let's not talk about it."

"I forgot . . . You're a tough city girl."

I smile. "Would you expect anything else?"

"Absolutely not."

"Oh, by the way, I found the house, or at least the general location," I say.

"What house?"

"The one my grandmother said you can see the hanging site from. I read up on it at the public library."

Sehun's face flickers in recognition when I say "library." So, the whole world does know. At least he has the decency not to bring it up.

"Want to go check out my map after school today?" I continue.

"Are you asking me on a date?"

I laugh.

"I'll take that as a yes," he says. The bell rings.

We grab our bags and head for the door.

"Meet you after classes," I say.

"Yeah, pick me up at my locker. I like red roses and European chocolates. None of the cheap stuff."

I shake my head as we part ways.

People recoil from me as I navigate the hallway. Not the freshmen so much—they don't know jack about social dynamics. But all the upperclassmen avoid me. I can distinctly hear the word "cursed" being whispered. The Lineages either know how I was made fun of that word at my old school, which means they're really putting effort into making my life difficult, or it's a coincidence, which is creepy in its own way. I honestly don't know which scenario is worse.

I round the corner toward chemistry and collide with Soojung's back while she's talking to Seulgi. Soojung turns and stares.

People around us notice. Seulgi fidgets with her hands and avoids looking at me.

"This is where you say sorry, hope like hell I forgive you, and walk away," Soojung says slowly and deliberately, like I'm an idiot.

My nails press into my palms. "Of this is where you apologize for throwing a goddamn rock through my window. Then you can walk away and go play with your little dolls."

Soojung's different-colored eyes narrow and she takes a step toward me. She smells like bonfire and mint gum. Seulgi grabs Soojung's hand, but she shakes Seulgi off.

"You'll regret every word of that," Soojung says just as the dark-haired guy walks past us.

"And you!" I yell at him. Soojung looks confused as I redirect the conversation. The guy pauses for a second to give me a disapproving glare, and keeps going like I've offended his sensibilities.

This only frustrates me more, and I make a fast attempt to grab his arm. My fingers make contact with his black shirt, but he pulls away and I lose my hold. I take a step forward, trying to recover my footing, but it only gets worse. I fall toward the metal lockers.

I put my hand out, but it's too late; my clumsiness is in full swing. My forehead collides with a lock, creating a reverberating bang. The hallway blurs momentarily and I slide to the floor. Every turns to watch. I try to get up and I'm super dizzy.

Soojung stands over me, amused. Around me, people whisper that Soojung used a spell on me, that she cursed me. I want to scream at them, but my head pounds.

"Okay, back up." Principal Byun pushes through the students. "What happened here?"

"She threw herself into the lockers," Soojung says, and the whispers continue.

"I tripped," I wince.

"Everyone, disperse. Now!" says Principal Byun. "Let's get you to the nurse. Can you stand?"

"I think so," I say, but when blood drips onto my hand, I faint.