𝔚𝔞𝔶 𝔱𝔬 𝔖𝔞𝔶 𝔊𝔬𝔬𝔡𝔟𝔶𝔢

"We should transfer him back to Seoul," I say to Yoomi as we turn down our street. This is the most I've spoken since we left the hospital.

"Don't be ridiculous. You heard what that nurse said about travel being hard on patients. It could be bad for him."

"I don't trust it here. He'd be better off in Seoul."

"Where you couldn't see him?"

"I'd take the bus or train."

Yoomi shakes her head. "We'll talk about this when you've calmed down."

"I am calm," I say as we bounce into our driveway.

"Suzy, you seem really unsettled lately. Agitated, even. I know this move has been stressful. Maybe it's best if you talk to someone about it." She puts the car in park and turns toward me, dropping her jeweled wrist from the steering wheel.

"You mean therapy."

"Well, you haven't been sleeping, and you've been seeing things. I just think it's worth thinking about. I have a few errands to run, but maybe we can chat about it when I get home."

I get out of the car, shaking. "I'm not going to therapy and I'm not seeing things. My dad is in a coma. Just because you can sleep doesn't mean I can."

"Well, that's more than a little unfair."

I slam the car door.

She speeds away in reverse. The back bumper of her car scratches against the dip at the mouth of the driveway. How did we wind up like this, where we fight more than not? I unlock the side door, and the heaviness of my situation presses down on me with a steel hand.

I only make it to the middle of the foyer before I sit on the floor. I fold over and put my forehead on the wood. My back shakes and tears fall down my cheeks.

"Joohyuk?" I say through my sobs. I lift my head off the floor. "I know you don't like to be summoned, but I need your help. Please."

He appears. "Let me help you up, Sooji."

"I don't care about me." I wipe my tears with the back of my sleeve. "I only care about my dad. I don't want him to die. I'll do anything. Help me break the curse."

He sighs. "I am helping; I made that confounded deal with you."

"I mean really help, like you care, like you would if it were Bona."

His eyes get a faraway look.

"What if I leave Manyeo and transfer my dad back to Seoul? Then all the families won't be here—"

"An elderly descendant died in her sleep while you were in Suwoon today. I don't believe it will make any difference if you leave now."

My heart sinks.

"Please, you must get off the floor." Joohyuk offers me his hand, and I take it. His palm is cold the way it was when it was pressed against my mouth. He pulls me into a standing position and tucks my hand into the crook of his arm.

We walk into the living room, and he gestures toward the white couches. "Sit."

"You're the bossiest person I've ever met," I say, but plop down onto a cushion anyway. I wipe the remaining dampness from under my eyes. He grabs some wood to start a fire.

"I am a lot older than you. I know better."

"You don't look a lot older."

"That is beside the point."

"How old were you when you died?"

He lights the kindling and closes the screen around the fire. "Twenty."

"You loved Bona a lot, didn't you?"

Looking at him standing next to the mantel, flames lighting up his face, I can't help but think how attractive he is. "Yes. Our parents died when I was sixteen and Bona was thirteen. It became my responsibility to take over my father's business. I dedicated myself tp caring for her so she would not have to endure living with our relatives. We were as close as any two people could be."

"What happened to her?"

"I am not going to discuss that, Sooji. I have said too much already."

"You haven't said anything. I barely know anything about you expect that you want me to leave."

"That is enough."

I sigh. "Fine. Don't talk to me. But will you help me?"

He sits down in one of the white armchairs. "Yes, if I can. But you may not like everything I have to suggest."

"Like what?"

His movements are elegant as he adjusts his posture. "I do not think you will disrupt this pattern by yourself."

"I have Sehun and Mrs. Oh . . . and you. Who else do I need?"

"I believe it will require the assistance of the Lineages."

"Those people?" My face falls. "You're right. I don't like that suggestion."

"Considering that these deaths do not affect your family alone, I think it prudent to inform the potentially injured parties. They may be able to help with information."

"Of all the things you could've said, you had to say that? Now I feel guilty if I don't tell them. I don't know. Maybe they can help. We don't even know how the curse started."

"If there is such a curse, I imagine it started with the Trials."

"Well, what was the cause of the Manyeo Witch Trials?" As soon as the question leaves my mouth, I remember Soojung's answer from class. "It was Bae Changbin, wasn't it?"

He looks like he's reliving unpleasant memories. "He was a main player but not the only one. Give me time to think about it."

"Can I borrow your notes on the lineages' deaths?"

"If you want them."

"If I have to convince a group of people who hate me to help solve a curse that could be killing our families . . . I can't even say this without thinking I sound one hundred percent crazy. Anyway, I just need those notes, otherwise I have no chance with the Lineages."

He nods and disappears.

"Way to say goodbye."