ℑ'𝔪 𝔬𝔫 𝔇𝔦𝔰𝔭𝔩𝔞𝔶

I scan the cafeteria. Wendy, Hyeri, and Seulgi are at their usual place near the window. I so wish I had
asked them to go to the hanging spot in homeroom. And if I don't do it now, school will be over, and tomorrow's Wednesday—Remembrance Day. I just need to do this, even if Wendy embarrasses me in front of everyone.

As I close in on their table, people's heads turn in my direction. I've never seen anyone approach them during lunch. It's like walking up to the throne without an invitation. I stop at the edge of their round table. This is much worse than in the garden. I'm on display here.

"Take a seat, Sooji," says Seulgi.

I look at Wendy. "Stop standing there like an idiot," she says.

Usually someone calling me an idiot would not inspire feelings of relief. But in this case, it does. I pull out a chair and sit down. "I really don't know how to say this, other than to just say it. We need to go back to the hanging location."

"That's your big announcement?" Alice excludes confidence.  "We know. We'll go after the witches and warlots party tonight."

"I wasn't invited to the party." Why did I say that?

They all pause. Then Seulgi says, "Come to the party,
and we'll go together after."

"Okay, but this is on you," Alice warns Susannah.

I'm not sure if I should say thanks for the invitation or ask Wendy what the risk is. Is it because Soojung hates me? Wendy definitely isn't my biggest fan, either. Also, why were they keeping yesterday a secret from Soojung and Kai? Whatever. This is about my dad, not about being friends.

Wendy breaks the momentary silence. "Are you done? Or did you have any other brilliant ideas?"

"I think other lineages might have seen those blurred faces we saw in the woods. In previous years where a lot of people died, I mean."

Hyeri shifts uncomfortably. "You're just full of good news."

"You think or you know?" asks Wendy.

"I know."

"How could you know that, Sooji?" Seulgi asks.

"I can't explain that. But there's something you should know about it. The lineages who saw those blurred faces—"

"I don't know whether to be embarrassed for you or disgusted by you," says Soojung's voice behind me. Oh, crap. What is she doing in the freshman-sophomore lunch period?

Wendy gives me a look that says It's your own fault, for trying to sit with us. I stand and face Soojung, but she looks past me to the Lineages. There are about twenty juniors in the cafeteria, including Sehun.

"This better be a joke," Soojung says to the girls.

"Well if it is, the punch line sucks," says Wendy.

Soojung looks unsure. I'm confused, too. Was that directed at Soojung or me? I try to exit the group, but Soojung grabs my arm and her nails dig into my skin.

"I can break you if I want to," she says before she lets go, her different-colored eyes issuing a warning.

Sehun watches me from a table across the room, and I decide to just walk away from her. I really don't wanna cause a scene in the middle of the cafeteria when half the school is watching.

"What was that?" Sehun asks as I walk toward him. He pulls an impressively large lunch out of a bag.

I take the seat next to him. "Nothing, don't worry about it."

"Didn't look like nothing."

"I was just talking to the Lineages, and Soojung got mad." I try to act casual about it.

"No one talks to them at lunch. Believe me, I've seen people try. They're just met with blank stares until they feel so self-conscious they walk away.

"I believe that."

"You wanna tell me what's going on?" Sehun offers me a peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich.

"You sure?" I ask.

"I have two."

I laugh and take the sandwich. "What are you doing in my lunch period?"

"Teacher was sick and the sub never showed. You weren't handing out pastries again, were you?" He grins. Does he not know they came from his mother's bakery? Maybe Yoomi didn't bring it up to Mrs. Oh after all. That's a relief.

I smile and bite the delicious sandwich. "Do you know something about a witches and warlocks party tonight?"

"Yup."

"Is that all you're gonna say?"

"Depends. Is that all you're gonna say about the Lineages?"

I shake my head at him, amused. But in reality, I don't know what to say. I don't want to lie, but I can't tell him the truth. If I do, I might compromise the civility I have going with the Lineages and then they won't go back to the hanging location with me. "Seulgi left her notebook in homeroom, and I was just returning it." Weak, but not the worst.

"Kinda looked like you were sitting at their table. Like you were friends with them."

"Come on. No way." I was sitting there. I was being friendly with them. But that doesn't mean we're friends. Right?

He's not convinced, but lets it go. "Costume party. Wendy's house. Lineages throw it every year right before Remembrance Day. It's a tradition."

Costume party? Hosted by Lineages? Not my idea of a good time. But if I don't go, they might not wait for me to go back to the hanging location. "Are you going?"

"I look very good in a warlock costume. Wouldn't seem right to deprive people of that."

"Yeah, the school might never forgive you."

Sehun gives me a choice of pastries from a small box tied with string. I wonder if I can somehow convince Mrs. Oh to pack my lunches.

"I'll pick you up at nine, nine-thirty?" asks Sehun.

"Uh, yeah. Sure. Do I have to wear a costume?"

"You won't be let in without it."