𝔗𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢'𝔰 𝔑𝔬 𝔚𝔞𝔶 𝔒𝔲𝔱

I wipe sweat form my forehead as I enter a small cobblestone alleyway just outside of town. I stopped running five blocks back, but my body didn't get the message.

"I'm in so much trouble."

"I could not risk you staying there," Joohyuk says.

"Okay, but why?" I stop, not wanting to leave this sleepy alleyway, where I can talk to him.

"You called attention to yourself with that spell today. My fiancée's attention."

I feel exposed. "So she knows where I live now?"

"I imagine she already knew where you lived. After all you live in the house that used to belong to me. What she would not have known is that you could do spells."

"You're saying I just announced myself as a threat?"

"I would think so."

If wasn't a threat before and she was already casting spells I might as well paints a target on my forehead now. "But you told me spirits can't do spells."

"They cannot."

"Am I missing something?"

He nods, looking uncomfortable.

"Suzy?"

I turn around as Sehun turns the corner. I'm partly relieved and partly terrified that he's seeking me out. Did he see me talking to Joohyuk? "You followed me?"

"I know you like this boy, but there is no time for this. I must tell you something," Joohyuk says, and I get the feeling I'm not going to like whatever it is.

Sehun walks up to me. "Yeah, well, you saw someone die, then you levitated onstage. I find you doing spells with my mom, and then I see you running full sprint down the street. I think it makes sense that I followed you."

"You never told Soojung about me biting Kai's hand, did you?"

"What do you think?"

"Sehun, I . . . I'm sorry. I don't know what to say."

"Why don't you start by explaining."

"Sooji," Joohyuk says. I don't need to look at him to know this isn't a good idea.

"I don't have time." It's the most truthful thing I can say.

"Why?"

"You wouldn't understand." I twist my fingers together.

Sehun waits for me to continue. When I don't, he asks, "Why don't you trust me?"

My heart aches. "It's not that."

Joohyuk throws his hands in the air.

"Then why don't you tell me anything?" Sehun asks. "I found out with the rest of the school these things happened to you. Even the Lineages knew more than me." I open my mouth, but he stops me. "Don't try to tell me they didn't. I saw their faces. Then, you believe Soojung's lies about me. They aren't even nice to you. Meanwhile, I do everything I can for you, and you shut me out."

I bite my lip. I completely misunderstood why Sehun was angry with me. I can't help but agree with him. "I never meant to shut you out," I whisper.

"Then stop," Sehun says.

Joohyuk paces. "The longer you delay, the more danger you are in."

Which means Sehun is in danger being near me. "It's not safe for you to be here," I say.

Sehun looks at the historic hanoks and quaint benches. "We are on a quiet street in an expensive neighborhood. And it's still light out. I don't really think it gets much safer."