𝔖𝔱𝔲𝔫𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔙𝔦𝔠𝔦𝔬𝔲𝔰

I stop to slow my heart rate and examine the imposing trees before taking my first step into the pitch-dark woods. I never thought I'd come here alone.

I pull my phone from my hoodie and scroll through the icons until I land on the flashlight. I shine my phone at the forest floor. With each step into the darkness, the damp scent of fallen leaves gets stronger. I keep my eyes trained on the ground to avoid the full view of my surroundings.

A branch smacks me in the face. I touch my stinging cheek. The skin's raised, and I feel a few droplets of blood. My dream comes rushing back like a slap to the head. In the dream where I scratched my cheek, I saw . . . a noose and a crow. Sweat forms on my palms. Changbin knew this was going to happen.

I point the light in front of me again and force myself through the trees. What does it mean that he knew? That it's fated to happen? If it's fated, how can I stop it? I could just be playing into the pattern, contributing to another century of deaths.

Ahead of me a light flickers. The hanok. I crouch down and cover my phone with my hand. I'm about to shut it off when I notice the camera icon. I press the video option, and my shoes, surrounded by dark leaves, appear on the screen. I pull out Officer Ban's business card from when he questioned me and snap off my phone case. I tuck the card against the back of my phone before putting the case back on. My conversation with Joohyuk about public opinion plays in my thoughts.

"Even if I don't make it through this, I hope that someone finds this video and knows that I tried to stop her. And that I tried to save them," I whisper at my phone.

I creep toward the light and stop twenty feet from the hanok. The shadows on the black, decrepit walls look alive in the moonlight. I study a jagged window for clues of what awaits, but it's covered with vines.

I step forward and crunch a twig. Panic stabs me, and for a brief second, I hold my breath and listen to the rustling wind. If I don't do this quickly, I'll lose my nerve.

I run to the front door and fling it open with a bang. As my feet hit the old wooden floorboards, I take in the large room. It's not empty anymore. There's a single stool in the center and a large wooden table covered with jars, candles, and bowls to the right. The fireplace blazes. Near the left wall are four more stools—standing on them are Hyeri, Wendy, Seulgi, and Soojung, nooses around their necks.

Their eyes are closed as though they're asleep. Is this a trick? There's no sign of Joohyuk's fiancée. Don't you dare fall before I can get you down. High heels click in the nearby hallway.

I stop so abruptly, it's as though I slammed into an invisible wall. A familiar wavy-haired shadow appears on the floor. "Yoomi?"

She steps gracefully into the room, wearing a dark blue dress and a cloak, as though nothing's awry. I shake my head at her, trying to will her to disappear. Her body language suggests that she's in perfect control, the way it always does. In control . . . I gag. No, I don't accept this. I don't want to know this.

I stand frozen, feeling like someone sucker-punched me in the gut. I know you; I live with you. You're supposed to be some awful stranger.

"We were never people to indulge in our emotions. Why start now?" She moves toward the table strewn with spell ingredients, and her dress swooshes behind her.

I stare at the Lineages and bite my lip hard in an effort to stop the overwhelming sadness that threatens to come. There's no good way to get all four down at once.

Yoomi turns to face me. "If you try to help them, you'll regret it." The door slams.

I don't look at her. Maybe I can drag that other stool over and slip the ropes off their necks. I take a step toward them. The stools start rattling and the girls' feet vibrate on top of them.