ℑ ℭ𝔞𝔫 𝔖𝔢𝔢 𝔜𝔬𝔲

Twigs snap under my feet as I run through the dark trees. There'sa man standing in a patch of light just ahead. A branch scrapes my cheek. I grab my face but don't stop. I need to get to him. He's young-ish, maybe late twenties, and he wears antiquated clothes. His hand fold behind his back the same way Joohyuk's do.

He looks up when I enter the clearing and I follow his gaze. A crow sits on a large branch. And below it hangs a noose. I try to scream, but the sound is muffled.

I sit straight up as the rest of the scream leaves my mouth. My phone says it's 7:27 a.m. I slip out of my bed, trying to shake the anxiety of my dream as I head into the hall.

It's Wednesday, and there's no school. I walk straight to Yoomi's room, hoping she's awake and we can go to Suwoon. Her door is cracked open, and I push it. Her bed is made and I don't hear her in the bathroom. I eye the medical bill on her dresser. Just a quick look.

Carefully, I lift the papers on top of it. It reads Explanation of Benefits—This is not a bill. I guess it's a summary of Appa's insurance coverage? There are columns of numbers. The amount-billed column is high—many thousands of dollars high. I scan the deductible and copayment columns. They're all zeros. I turn to the next page, same thing.

I scan ahead to the bottom of the last page, where the totals are. It reads Patient responsibility (amount you paid or owe to provider): $0. I look at the date. It was sent less than two weeks ago. My heart stutters as I arrange the papers in their original positions.

What does this mean, exactly? Does this mean she lied this whole time about my dad's medical bills being high? The thought terrifies me. Not because she lied, but because of the scale of the lie.

I make my way to the stairs and grip the banister. Unless I'm completely missing something, there was no reason to sell the Seoul apartment. Why do it? Money. But my dad makes a really good living. Yoomi wants more money? That's the only answer. So, what, is she waiting for my dad to die to get a huge inheritance? I feel ill. How could she do this?

"You look like you saw a ghost," says Yoomi from the bottom of the stairs.

I'm afraid to look at her. I don't know what I'll say. I can't believe I almost opened up to her last night. "I had a nightmare."

"Well, I just got off the phone with the hospital, and the doctor scheduled tests for your father throughout the afternoon. I think we should shoot for visiting this weekend."

Now I look at her. I want to tell her she has no right to even talk about my dad.

She frowns. "I know you're disappointed, but don't be mad at me about it. I didn't schedule those tests."

I walk past her on the stairs and don't say a word. I just head straight to the kitchen. Normally, I would scream. But I can't.  What if she really is waiting for my dad to die, to get his money? And then I yell at her and push her to do something crazy? She's controlling his medical treatment. I need to think about this. I can't let her know that I found that statement.

I mix my coffee, barely looking at it. I need to solve this curse. That's my only avenue to helping Appa, my best chance at his waking up. It's a long shot, but I have to believe in something.

"Is all well?" Joohyuk asks in his proper old-fashioned Hangul accent.

"How does it work, being a spirit?" I ask, without answering his question. I sip my coffee.

"I am not sure what you are asking?"

"You said you followed me a lot when I first got here. What did you mean?"