Ancient tales

Gem looks at Scott and sits on the chair Jimmy sat on. She's waiting to ask a question, Scott can tell. He waits for her to speak.

“So what’s wrong with your staff?” Gem asks “I've been waiting to ask this for a while now.”

“It’s uh..” Scott tries to think of how to describe it “Well, it’s an ancient staff.”

“Wow!” Gem stops him, “so they are real?”

“Yeah,” Scott continues “But mine is an evil one and said to be given to an evil holder. It’s from the evil Stag God.”

Gem was shocked “You're not evil
tho?” She asks.
Scott agrees. Gem is also confused.

“I know, it’s only been seen once and I think Xornoth might have had it when we were kids.” Scott tells her.

“What does it look like, what did it do to your hand?” She asks.

“I’d show you-”
“NO” Gem shouted at him  “Don’t show me.”
Scott laughs “I wasn't going to.”
Gem frowns at him.

“It’s hard to see what the top of it looks like, I just make it appear and disappear straight away. But the body of the staff is just all plane jet black and has spikes all over it.” Scott says.

“Oh. Then how are you supposed to hold it then? Wait, is that why you have been getting your hand hurt a lot recently?” Gem asks.
“Yeah,” Scott sighs.

“You need to stop making it appear then!” Gem tells him furiously. “I have heard of something before about ancient staffs.” Gem says.
“Yeah?” Scott waits.

“I think you can make it appear but not in your hand. The ancient wizards on crystal cliffs wrote it down.” Gem tells Scott.
“Oh.” Scott replies. “Do you know how?”

“Well I’m not sure, I’ll go get the book.” Gem says.
Her staff appears in her hands and she swings it leaving a purple stardust mist behind. With a flash she was gone and Scott was left in the still quietness.

‘She’s got used to her powers’ Scott says to himself.
Not long after she soon appeared with a book in her hands and her staff disappeared. Gem flicked through the pages trying to find the one she needed.

“Page 73!” Gem said out loud, sitting back.
She started reading in her head. Scott waited patiently.
“Here, it says, for an holder who holds an ancient staff, some can make it appear in a different place. By imagining where they want it to be the staff should go. If the staff does not obey this means the staff does not hold the powers to do so and may not be as powerful as it looks.” Gem reads.

“But what if mine doesn't have the powers to?” Scott asked, sounding worried.

“It will be fine. If anything does go wrong I will be right here and will be able to help. Besides, we are in my apothecary after all.” Gem tells him whilst putting the book down on the floor.
Scott looks at her suspiciously.

“How can I trust you though?” He asks.
Gem giggled and looked at him with a soft smile.

“I promise I won’t do anything without your consent.” She says.
“You promise?” Scott asks.
“Promise.” She replies.

Gem stands up and looks outside with the book now in her hand.

“I’m getting quite tired now so I’m going to go to sleep. You get some rest, hopefully you will feel better and we can see if you want to try to make your staff appear.” Gem says.

This time she gets her elytra out and opens the door. A cold mist fills the room but Scott doesn’t feel the cold. She says bye and leaves to go to her house. Scott’s head still hurt a little and he felt quite tired so it was easy to get sleep.