Part 29

We are led into a large cockpit where General Grievous stands. "Oh yes. General Kenobi, the Negotiator. Ah, and tenacious General Thorne. We've been waiting for you. That wasn't much of a rescue." General Grievous states.

"That depends upon your point of view. Hah!" Obi-wan says with a chuckle. "And Anakin Skywalker ... I was expecting someone with your reputation to be a little older." Grievous mutters causing me to stifle a laugh.

"General Grievous . . . Supreme Commander of the Droid Armies. You're shorter than I expected." Anakin retorts. "Ahhhh, Jedi scum . . ." Grievous mutters. "Anakin, try not to upset him. We have a job to do." Obi-wan says shaking his head.

"Your lightsabers will make a fine addition to my collection." Grievous states placing the lightsabers on his belt. "Not this time. And this time you won't escape." I grin. "R2" Anakin calls out.

R2 creates a distraction by extending all his arms, shooting out electrical pulses, and bouncing around. I. turn around, hands restrained with electrobonds, spin around, reach out and, using the Force, yank my lightsaber out of the General's hand, igniting it, and cutting my bonds. Spinning around, I release Obi-wan and Anakin as well.

"Crush them! Make them suffer!" Grievous snarls. As Anakin and Obi-wan force their lightsabers to themselves. The droids surrounding us begin to fire as we block the laser bolts. I am struck in the back by an electro staff before cutting the bodyguard of Grievous down.

When I look behind us, I notice Palpatine being dragged away by two bodyguards. I make my way over and cut down the droids before hearing alarms sound throughout the ship, signaling the ship falling out of orbit.

We destroy the remaining droids as Grievous retrieves one of the bodyguard's staffs and faces Obi-wan. I go for the attack only to be struck in the stomach by the electric staff. "You lose, General Kenobi." Grievous yells out as he throws the staff breaking the window and climbs away on the side of the ship.

I hold on for dear life trying to ignore the searing pain in my torso as a blast shield closes around the opening. Once the shield is shut, Obi-wan continues to fight the droids. He hides behind a control panel as the droids blast away at him. Finally after a moment, he jumps up cutting the remaining droids down and joining Anakin.

"Lara, are you okay?" Obi-wan asks looking over to me sitting on the floor. "Aside from getting electrocuted twice, I think I'll survive." I pant holding a hand over my torso. Anakin and Obi-wan go to to the navigators chair and attempt to figure out the controls.

"All the escape pods have been launched." Anakin announces. "Grievous. Can you fly a cruiser like this?" I ask hobbling over to the two jedi. "You mean, do I know how to land what's left of this thing?" Anakin asks as he sits in the pilots chair and sees half the ship break away. 

"Well?" Obi-wan questions. "Under the circumstances, I'd say the ability to pilot this thing is irrelevant. Strap yourselves in." Anakin replies as we all find a seat to strap ourselves into. "Steady . . . Attitude . . . eighteen degrees." Obi-wan says as R2 beeps.

"Pressure rising. We've got to slow this wreck down. Open all hatches, extend all flaps, and drag fins." Anakin says as he begins hitting controls. "Temp steady. Hatches open, flaps extended, drag fins . . ." Obi-wan replies as the two work together. "We lost something." Anakin states as the ship becomes lighter.

"Not to worry, we're still flying half the ship." Obi-wan says positively. "Now we're really picking up speed . . . I'm going to shift a few degrees and see if I can slow us down." Anakin states. "Careful . . . we're heating up-twelve thousand . . . thirteen thousand . . ." Obi-wan states.
"What's our speed?" Anakin asks as I become antsy in my seat.

"Eight plus sixty-forty. Eight plus sixty-twenty. Eight plus sixty. Temp ten thousand, nine thousand . . . we're in the atmosphere . . ." Obi-wan mutters. "Grab that . . . Keep us level." Anakin says pointing at a lever. "Steady. Steady." Obi-wan says. "Easy, R2. Hang on, this may get a little rough. We lost our heat shields." Anakin says beginning to get nervous himself.

"Five thousand. Three thousand . . . two thousand. Fireships on the left and the right." Obi-wan says as we gain communication with the Fireship Pilots. "We'll take you in." The say through the communication. "Copy that. Landing strip's straight ahead." Obi-wan replies. "We're coming in too hot." Anakin says making me more nervous. "Easy-easy." Obi-wan whispers to himself.

The ship makes contact with the ground as we are jolted around. I hold on to my seat for dear life as the jolting increases the pain in my torso. "Master Thorne?" Palpatine questions as I clutch my torso. "I-I'm fine." I whimper.

When the ship finally comes to a halt, Obi-wan runs a hand through his hair "Another happy landing." I grins before turning to look at my hunched over frame. "Lara?" he exclaims climbing out of his seat and coming towards me. "Are you okay?" Anakin asks as Obi-wan pulls one of my arms around his shoulder to assist me out of the wreckage. "I'll be fine, I've been through worse." I whimper holding my torso.

Once on the ground, we are met by Master Plo Koon. "Master Kenobi, Master Thorne, and Skywalker. It's a pleasure to have you three back." he states as Obi-wan holds me upright. "Lara, we talked about getting hurt on missions." Master Plo sighs as I laugh at him. "We got the Chancellor back." I smile weakly. 

I watch as the Chancellor is taken to a Jedi shuttle before my legs give out on me completely. "Master!" Anakin exclaims as he and Obi-wan both move to help me. "Get her some medical attention, now!" Master Plo yells towards some clones who take off running. "Just keep your eyes open." Obi-wan says softly as he moves my hair out of my face. 

"I'll be okay." I whisper as my eyelids become heavy. "Just stay awake." Master Plo sighs sitting next to me as my eyes close completely.