What If I Become Her?

A/N: It is me so credits to reyelee on Tumblr and Stargirl29 for the ideas for the nicknames! Check out Stargirtl29's fic "The Fate That Ties Us Together." On ao3. It is really good.

'What if I become her? What if she was right?' Regulus has had these thoughts many times in his life. But they have become much more often since he has left the Black house and moved in with his boyfriend, James. The "what if she was right?" is newer than the first. For as long as he remembered he always feared that he would become like his mother. But the one if she was right has been since he finally (mentally) left her and her teachings in the past.

Regulus waited until he graduated from Hogwarts to leave the household, though during the holidays would stay at Hogwarts with Sirius' friends, which is how he got close to James. At that point, he had mentally left the family, but since then he was always worried about what if she was right. What if I am wrong? What if I am the one that is following the lies?

"What are you thinking about Raynard?" Sirius asks in a sing-song voice walking into Regulus' office. Regulus hadn't even realized he stopped working on the report for the Ministry. There is a murder cult coming up in the Wizarding world, and they needed numbers from Gringotts. "Nothing Sirius." Regulus quickly replies, getting back to work.

"Come Regulus I know that look on your face. Plus, you had stopped working, you were just looking at the paper like you asking it the questions of the universe and the paper is not telling you and you are convinced that it knows. So what is going on? You and James got into a fight?"

"No, everything has been fine."

"Really?"
Regulus then debated in his head. 'If I say out loud to someone it would sound really dumb and Sirius would just tell me there is nothing to worry about and that it is not possible. But I think it is possible, I am always known for the impossible. Like living with them for 17 years of my life, getting together with a Gryffindor while under their roof, and being friends with Sirius and the rest. With many more things I have done.'

"It is really nothing Sirius, I am being honest. Now, why are you here in Gringotts to begin with?" Regulus says, trying his best to deflect from this situation. "Cause I have the numbers that you guys need for that murder cult transaction thing. Well, here you go." Regulus grabs the papers and hands them to Sirius.

"Regulus. I will not stop asking just because you shove me away-" Sirius was about to lecture Regulus but he was faster and started pushing him out of his office.

"Good to see Sirius have a fun day tracking down Tom- whatever the fuck his name is." Regulus says shoving him out the door, while closing the said door he heard Sirius say, "This conversation is not over Regulus!" Regulus then locked the door and leaned against it. 'He won't do anything right? Like how bad can he get? It is not like he would drag other people into it; he is too prideful for that. Or is that what I hope? I don't know anymore. I need to get back to work. One thing at a time.' Regulus then went back to work doing his best to ignore all his thoughts.

*************

Regulus walks into his and James' flat, sighing as doing so. It was an endless day. He loves Arithmancy but even he has his limit; he fucking hates his cousin Narcissa. Why do they need to have so many vaults? It makes things so difficult. As soon as Regulus walks into the living room he sees James, Sirius, and Remus (Peter is visiting his mother but Regulus knew that if he was here, he would be in his living room as well).

"What the fuck is going on here?" Regulus asks though he already knew what was going on.

"I brought them here to make it so you can't get away from answering my question. So, when I brought them here turns out they also were having this problem. So what is going on?" Sirius says crossing his arms and crossing his legs. 'He looks like a mother sitting like that.' Regulus almost laughs at the thought that crossed his mind.