There Is A Deer Watching Me

Regulus did not know when it started; he just knew when he first realized it. He was just sitting at the lake as he always does, drawing with only the sounds of the lake and the birds and insects. It was part of his regular schedule, and today was one of those days sketching the Leo constellation. When he felt he was being watched by someone, he looked around to see who it was but he didn't expect to see a deer staring at him.

"Hey buddy, why are you looking at me?" Regulus asks the deer because why the fuck not. The deer will probably run away so why not. Now what Regulus never expected was the fucking deer come up to him a sit down next to him. And then put their head on Regulus' leg. The only thing that went through Regulus head was 'WHAT THE FUCK!'

"H-hi, what are you doing there?" Regulus stutters out not wanting to scare the deer in fear that they might hurt themselves or him. The deer then brought their head up and licked his face and left. Regulus was stunned, not sure if that really just happened or if he was asleep.

"What the actual fuck just happened." Regulus says out loud to no one. That was when Remus came over. They talked about the books that they read and about classes and helped each other with homework and stuff. So not that weird that he is coming over to see what he is up to.

"Why do you look like you saw a mass murder?" Remus asks, standing over Regulus, his face showing concern for what is wrong with his friend.

"I know this sounds fucking insane, but I was sitting here and then I felt like I was being watched and so I looked around to see who was staring at me. And it was a fucking deer, so I said hi to it and then it came over and put its head on my leg and the got up and licked my face and walked away." Regulus rambles out and Remus looks like he is planning something. Once he is done, Remus speaks.

"That is really weird. It will probably never happen again. That was like a once in a lifetime thing that happened. Anyway, I just wanted to check in with you since you looked shocked rightfully so, but I got to go meet up with someone for a project for charms. So see you later." Remus says and then just leaves. Regulus just stayed there looking at the lake trying to process what just happened.

It never happened again after that, but Regulus never forgot and never stopped thinking about if that was going on longer or not. And why did it just stop?

o0o0o0o

Years Later

o0o0o0o

Regulus and James were lounging on their bed, James reading files from a Aurror case and Regulus was reading a muggle book that Remus got for his birthday that was a couple days ago when Regulus remembered what happened that day by the lake.

"Hey James, I just remembered this weird thing that happened to me during my 6th year."

"What is it?"

"So I was sitting by the lake and then this deer came up to me and I said hello to it and it came up to me and sat next to me and put his head on my leg. Then it got up and licked my face and walked away. Pretty weird huh." Regulus says not paying attention to James face slowly dropping form curiosity to a oh fuck face, he was just reading his poetry book while speaking.

"That was me in my animagus form." James admits looking at his files instead of his husband who is now looking at him.

"What? Wait, that makes sense because Remus came over and was acting weird when I told him. Oh Merlin. Did he lecture you?" Regulus asks, laughing at James' face , and says yes. "Why did you do that?"

"Well, I had a crush on you and I didn't have the guts to talk to you so I just did that." James says in pure shame while Regulus laughs his head off.

"Oh, you've liked me since then. Geez, it took me a lot longer than that." Regulus says laughing at himself as well and James thinking about it.

"Yeah, yeah. I had a big puppy crush on you for years until you even torlotated my existence. But hey, you married me so you warmed up to me, eventually." James says which makes Regulus laugh harder.

"It took you a week, it took me years." Regulus says the laughing is dying down.

"Yeah, but you are stuck with me now."

"Yes, I am. I am stuck with that deer that would watch me."

James throws a pillow at him while laughing.