Phone Calls

A/N: This is for my friend MoonyKaz who convinced me to write and publish this

Evan did not think this day was going to be a very long day in the morning though when is it not? Waking up in his dorm room before everyone else so he wouldn't have to deal with Barty and Regulus fighting over who gets the bathroom first. Evan was not sure when in the history of Hogwarts they gave each of the students their separate rooms. Something about kids getting into trouble when they were left with open space: then apparently that was not enough to stop the students from probably making out and doing other things the Hogwarts staff did not want them to be doing. So, they put a spell on all the doors so only the person whose room it is can go in it. Of course, there was outrage but the teachers said if you need to work together that is what the common room is for. In any case, it was nice for Evan since he has the biggest crush on one Barty Crouch Jr. He could barely even think what it would be like to have to live in the same space as him.

Once he had made his way to the bathroom that they still shared he got ready for the day but put on his uniform robes and just went straight back to his bed and laid down on his bed. During this time of the day, he would read a book or study for the Arithmancy test that was coming up. But all he could think about was the fact that he had a crush on one of his best friends. It took him the longest time to realize it and then he wished he never did. He was entirely happy to go back to the ignorance of his emotions. Ignorance is bliss, since now here was always thinking about him and the life he will never have. The feeling of never getting to have his emotions shared with the person he has them with.

Buzz

That all of these thoughts were going a mile a minute and would never stop and he would just have to live in silence while Barty goes and flirts with anyone that gave him the time of day. His heart ached when he saw it trying to play it off as if it was normal. But it wasn't normal anymore.

Buzz

Well, I always felt these things but I was confused about them and was more able to push them down until I can just make it feel like nothing.

Buzz

Damn. Who was calling him? Evan thought had taken himself and grabbed his phone just as the 4th buzz went off. He looked to see if some rando was calling him or if his parents think that he needs to be at some ball that he definitely did not remember as he should. To his dread, as if thinking of the boy made him pop up into his life. Evan had the right mind to just not answer but Barty was never up this morning which spooked him beyond belief. Barty hated being awake in the morning and let alone the early morning hours so against his feelings that he was going to have to shove back down and answered.

"Helloooo," Barty says sleep tangled in his voice.

"What do you need?" Evan asked cutting to the chase.

"My, my friend why do you ask this of me? Can't I just talk to you?" Barty reptiles and Evan heard him turn over in his bed.

"Barty don't play coy with me. You hate being up and I know you would never do it without a reason so what is it?" Evan says rubbing his template feeling like he would be drug into something that he would regret.

"Well, since that you are instant of what I need from you and I don't get to know how my dearest friend is doing," Barty says signing that he didn't get to play his cat and mouse game that he always loved to do as any Slytherin would. But it could never be able to do it with another Slytherin. The games were harder to do. "I had the greatest idea, for the reason I woke up early for our dear friend Regulus."

Evan could not help the sigh that left him at the idea he could already feel that his friend had concocted in his mind, which no doubt that he had to shoot down either because he had not fully thought it through and had not had the time to fully get all the pieces or thought it all through. Barty has to have a long while to think everything through in detail, but when the first thoughts come through he thinks it is amazing on the spot.

"Dear Merlin, what in Salazar Slytherin did you create?" Evan asks trying to figure it out before Barty could tell him.

"You know how our dear little cat has had a crush on Potter? We both know that he will do nothing about it and will die before he even gives Potter a hint of even tolerating him in any way. Potter will go about it in all the wrong ways and will just make Regulus want to spike him even more than he already does. So, I was thinking that we could give them a push in the right direction." Barty says and Evan wants to roll his eyes but Barty would not be able to hear that over the phone.

"That is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard from you. Honestly, Barty do you really think that is going to work? Potter and Regulus just need to get their shit together I agree but how are we going to do that for them? You do realize they are the densest people in the world right?"

"Well dear friend of mine," Barty says in a more dramatic tone than was warranted for a time like this. "I was just about to explain the idea. Anyways, you flirt with Regulus in front of Potter and then I flirt with Potter in front of Regulus." Barty says with such ease that it was unnerving for Evan to hear.

"What if I don't want to do that?" Evan couldn't help asking Barty, not knowing where he was going to go with this.

"What do you mean?" Barty asks clearly confused despite himself.

"Well, what if I like someone and don't want them to think that I like Potter," Evan says and the silence on the other end of the phone is deafening. Had I said too much? Evan thinks to himself. He wasn't sure why he said something about it considering the person he liked was the one that came up with the damn idea. But here he was saying it anyways. He was not fond of the idea in general though. Evan did not want to see Barty flirting with Potter even if it was fake. Then he did not want Barty to see him flirt with Reggie even though it would be all make-believe. What if he thinks that I have actually fallen for him in the end? That would take away my shot before I could shoot it. Too many things could wrong with this.

"Oh, I didn't realize that you liked someone," Barty says and Evan was overthinking so much he did not have time to process what he said let alone how he said it. "Well, I will just have to do it myself then. Good day, Evan bye."

"Barty wait-" Evan tried to say something anything. He gave Barty the wrong idea but it was too late. The sound of the buzzing of the phone telling him that Barty had hung up could not be heard by Evan. All he could process was the fact that he somehow fucked it up more.