TWENTY FIVE

Isabel was sitting on the bottom step of the staircase staring at her mate who was on the couch in the living room staring at the TV with a blank expression on his face. She sat there deep in contemplation. How does she approach her mate after treating him so badly? She was filled with guilt and remorse for almost killing her mate. Unlike her wolf, her beast wasn't easy to tame, that was why she had no control of her actions in the last couple of hours. It shows up whenever she is in a very difficult situation or when her anger is at its peak. Ever since Isabel found her mate, she has made a concerted effort to conceal her beast, by frequently suppressing her anger because she feared that her mate would hate her the very minute he sees the despicable monster she was harbouring inside her. Her wolf made low crying noises, mirroring her hurt. She hesitated for a moment before standing up.

Dylan felt a weight beside him on the couch, but didn't bother turning his head to see who it was as her distracting scent was all over the living room. He still hasn't gotten over the shock of the near death experience his mate put him through some hours ago.

"That wasn't me" Isabel was the first one to speak. The awkwardness in the atmosphere was too suffocating for her liking.

"I know" Dylan's response was short and plain, hurting Isabel's feelings.

"Just... Don't get in my way next time. Please" Her voice sank to a whisper at the last word. Her monster was expressing its displeasure over Dylan's behavior earlier that day Infront of her cousins since Isabel couldn't do it herself.

"I understand"

She let out a deep sigh when she came to the realization that things will never be the same between them. Isabel then decided to give Dylan his space, but she was stopped by a strong hand on her wrist. This single act by her mate caused her whole body to tingle with excitement. She stared at him expectantly, waiting for him to say something at least. She wasn't good at this sort of things, and has never apologized to anyone besides her parents, but deep down, she wanted Dylan to forgive her for what she did. Although she couldn't bring herself to say the words anyone in her position ought to say, she hoped the mate bond would make him feel how sorry she was. To send her message across, her lips covered his in a long warm kiss. She held the nape of his neck as her tongue explored every corner of his mouth, putting all of her emotions in the kiss.

Dylan was left short of breath by the time Isabel pulled away from the kiss. He looked away to hide his embarrassment. Isabel chuckled lightly at her mate's poor attempt to hide the pink flush spread over his cheeks. She pushed him playfully to herself so he was lying on her lap.

After several minutes of comfortable silence, Dylan decided to ask the question he has been burning to ask.

"Isabel?"

"Mmm"

"Was there really something between you and Carlos?"

Isabel tensed, hearing Dylan bring up her relationship with Carlos. Was her mate trying to get on her nerves so soon?

Keeping her emotions in check, she replied "yes"

Dylan sat up straight and stared at his mate in disbelief. This was the moment he has been dreading. Hearing the truth from Isabel's own lips was like a stab to his chest. As much as he wanted to hear the truth, he never expected Isabel to be so blunt about it. Why didn't she lie like some other person's would? Why couldn't she make up some absurd excuse or even deny it? Doesn't she feel the tinniest bit of remorse for being with someone who wasn't her mate? Dylan had no idea he was walking out of the living room until Isabel's angry voice stopped him.

"What do you gain by doing this?" She asked

"What do I gain?... What would you do if I told you there was someone in my life?" He asked back.

"I'd kill her" Isabel replied without hesitation, leaving him speechless.

"Carlos was only a play thing. He means nothing to me" Her voice shook with emotion for the very first time in her life.

She was tired. Isabel was tired of being tormented by a past she wished never happened.

"What do you want me to say, Dylan?" She sobbed, shocking her mate.

"Do you want me to say sorry?!" She yelled in frustration, breaking whatever she laid her hands on.

This wasn't her beast, this wasn't her wolf, this was her in pain.

"I'm sorry for not showing up on your birthday. I'm sorry for not staying faithful to you. I'm sorry for not meeting your expectations... I'm sorry, okay?!"

Too ashamed to be in the same room with her mate after pouring out her heart, Isabel stormed out of the house. After the incident in their bedroom earlier that day, Dylan knew better than to chase after his alpha mate.

"I'm in front of the pack house"

Xavi was watching a movie with his mate in his living room when Isabel's voice suddenly broke through the mind-link. Alerted by the fact that his alpha personally came to the pack house he was currently in charge of, he kissed his mate goodnight and asked her to go to bed without him because he wasn't sure what time he would be back, so he didn't want to alarm her.

"Alpha" He greeted Isabel who was leaning against his car, looking cold and distant.

The night was freezing like they were in for a storm. He took off his trench coat and gently placed it on Isabel's shoulders. She must be bothered about something, to have come out late at night without wearing thick clothing.

"Let's take a stroll" Isabel suggested, putting on her cousin's coat.

They walked side by side in a comfortable silence. It has always been like this for these two. Whenever either of them was troubled, they would reach out to the other no matter how far away they were from each other. They understood themselves so well that words weren't necessary to know what problem the other was going through.

"You need to let him in" Xavi said without Isabel uttering a single word.

"He hates me because of Carlos" Isabel quietly replied. She halted in her tracks and exhaled deeply.

"I never should've been intimate with him in the first place"

"You had your reasons" Xavi reminded her. He didn't like that Isabel was putting the blame on herself when in reality she did it in the interest of the pack.

Her cousin was right. She had her reasons for keeping Carlos close, but she didn't know it would be a snare to her in the nearest future.

It suddenly started pouring rain. Xavi took Isabel by the hand, and they ran towards the nearest place they could take shelter from the rain. Luckily, they were close to the Red moon cocktail bar where they usually met for a drink, so they entered inside. Isabel quickly gave the bar attendant a signal not to announce her presence because she wanted everyone in the bar to feel at ease. Although her scent would betray her, she doubted these drunk werewolves would notice. Just as she was about taking her seat, her attention was grabbed by a very familiar voice spouting insults on her mate. Isabel's head whipped towards the direction of the voice, and her eyes instantly turned yellow.

Hellooooooo wonderful people!
It's another weekend!
And your faithful author is here with another update 🙂
What do you guys think of the story so far?
I would like to know your thoughts
And... Thanks guys for the 5k reads. Let's keep the reads coming, and please don't forget to recommend this story to your friends.
Until next weekend, byeeeeeeee