Half love half regret (part 2)

Tommy opened the door, slowly revealing more and more of Steves figure in the doorframe. You could see the anger when looking at him, his face was tense, but Tommy didn't know why. He was just standing there, arms crossed over his chest, thinking for something good to say.

"Hey man, quick question, where were you today? I was waiting by your locker for an hour, but you didn't think of showing up? Has something happened? You looked... concerned yesterday when you left.

Concerned was the only word he found to describe it, even though he knew it was so much more. He was mad, he really was, but mostly he wanted to know why. He knew that Tommy wasn't a big fan of Nancy, but he wasn't an asshole without a reason. Not Tommy.

Tommy responded him a fainted smile, but really he was exploding inside. He completely ignored Steves expressions and listened to his heart. 'He cares about me' even though, deep down, he knew it had to be a bigger reason for him coming to his house.

"Did you come here to check on me? Thats sooo sweet Harrington. Im fine, you're not my mother."

'Why are you being such an asshole? He came to your house to see you. Stupid. Just... act normal.'

"Honestly, what is up with you?? You have been acting weird for a couple of days now and I don't know how to put up with you."  "I know that you wouldn't hurt me without a reason" Steve added under his breath.

He put his arm on Tommys shoulder, its was supposed to be a sign of support but Tommy sensed that something was wrong. The butterflies in his stomach are moving like crazy 'its wrong, he he is making me feel' he thought. Tommy stood inside the house, Steve outside. There was only 5 cm (2 inches for my American readers)  distance between them , but they were still so far away from each other. The tension was real, Steve could feel it too, but he waved it away, like a cloud in front of his face.

"Im not going to tolerate this, you are just standing there and accusing me of things! So if you aren't going anywhere with this conversation, I suggest I shut this fucking door!"

 Now you could clearly hear the irritation in Tommys voice. He was scared, playing it of with anger so his voice wouldn't tremble. He was scared that Steve might have sensed something, that he was suspecting him. He was, but not in that way.

Just as Tommy could only see a glimpse of Steves hair, the movement stopped and a white sneaker appeared between the door and the frame. Steve wouldn't let go that easy.

"Can I come in? I need to talk to you. Seriously." Steve said while opening the door to its fullest again. He tried to talk as calming as he could, so he would let him in.

Tommy was starring, mesmerised, into Steves eyes, wondering what he would find out if he let him in.

"Sure, if you stop acting like I'm the problem here." said Tommy 'I already know I am'.

Steve had been in Tommys house many times before, their parents are close friends so dinners together wasn't an uncommon thing. Everything was familiar, the cold kitchen floor and the brown couch that they spilled Coca Cola on. Tommys dad was so mad, they had a time out in Tommys bedroom. They built a fort and sat there until it was time to sleep.They laughed so hard they couldn't catch their breaths. Steve remembered it as one of the best days of his life.

Tommy threw himself on the couch, signalling for Steve to do the same.

"Don't act like a guest, consider this your second home"

And Steve would, if he wasn't too afraid of Tommys explanation. He still couldn't quite believe it. He wanted to deny it, but it happened, he saw it with his own eyes. He sat down, one leg over the other while he was supporting his back on a pillow. 

"Im dying of curiosity here, tell me!" Tommy burst out, even though he wanted this moment to be over. His head was full of 'what ifs' and 'what nows'. He had to be prepared for the worst. He believed in himself because ever since he was a child he was really good at lying.

"Okay, so I know I should be fucking pissed at you right know, and I will be if you don't have a good explanation. I followed you. I went to check- I mean I wanted to hang out with you tonight but when I came to your house you were acting strangely. You drove of and I followed you into town-

"O no. Oh shit shit shit! He saw me. He would find out eventually, but he doesn't know why I did it. I cant tell him why I did it, that was the whole point why I was writing it. Play it of, now. "

"So you are a stalker now huh? Nice friend"

"This isn't about that Tommy! Why did you do it! Tell me! Tell my that you didn't do it to hurt me." Steve said, screaming the words and tears forming in his eyes. Steve felt betrayed, and he didn't know why he felt that way. It felt like he would lose him.

It was over, Tommy had nothing to say. If he didn't come up with something quickly he would lose his best friend, probably forever.

I-I... he stuttered, trying to form the words. It was empty, blacked out in his head.

"You were not supposed to find out" he said, now standing up.

"Its too late now" said Steve, hiding his tears with his sweater sleeve.

It was silent for a couple of seconds, a couple of seconds too long, the tension could be cut with a knife. Steve stood up and was moving towards the front door when...

"I saw her. Nancy not so perfect Wheeler. I saw her hook up with Jonathan Byers."

Eyyy my longest chapter

Word count 1000