Chapter 11: Taking it Slow?

“Ruby, you don’t need to check out every closet in this place,” Brian whispered to me.  We were touring our second house.  The realtor was waiting downstairs for us to finish checking out the second floor.

“I’m just making sure you have enough space,” I replied smiling at him. He dressed all up to look at houses wearing a blue button down shirt and khakis.

“I don’t have a lot of clothes,” he stated. I have a lot, I thought to myself.

“Ok I guess it’s sufficient then, but you might want to consider a walk in closest, maybe you could knock the wall down over here,” I said to him pointing at an area in the master bedroom that seemed unused.

“Well I haven’t brought the house yet,” Brain smiled at me, getting all worked up.

“Oh yeah sorry, I get excited sometimes” I said, sheepishly.

“That’s ok, let’s go downstairs.” He smiled at me gently and took hold of my hand as we went downstairs.

“How do you like everything?” Missy, the real estate lady asked us with a cheerful voice.

“It’s really nice,” Brian complimented.

“There isn’t a walk in closet in the master bedroom,” I said to her, like it was obviously a big problem.

“Well I’m sure you could always renovate it,” she said to me, with a bit of tone.  We told her before we just started dating when she asked the awkward question if we were married or engaged.

“That is costly,” I said quietly but only Brian heard me.

“So do you want to see any more houses, are you happy with what you have seen so far?” Missy asked us.

“You know I think I’d like to think it over a bit and I’ll get back to you, I don’t think we need to see any more houses,” Brian said to Missy.

“Well just so you know I am going to be showing both houses to a couple of other buyers,” Miss said so Brian.

“That’s fine, I’ll get back to you with my decision,” Brian said and we said a polite good bye.

“Where do you want to go to lunch?” Brian asked when we got back into his car.

“Oh I don’t care, so why don’t you want to look at more houses?” I asked.  I was really enjoying looking at houses.  

“Oh I think I’ve decided which one I want,” he said to me.

“The first one, it had a beautiful master suite, and the kitchen was lovely, and the deck wow,” I said.

“No, that one’s price was set way too high, the sellers obviously think they are going to get more than that house is worth, the second one has the perfect price and it’s simple, it's all I need,” he said and I thought I’d rather pay more for something nicer.

“So if you liked the second one why not make an offer?” I asked.

“Because I need to sleep on, it’s a big purchase, got to think it over, though it’s a good deal” He said.

“What if someone else tries to buy it, she said she was showing it to some other buyers,” I pointed out.

“She just said that, but that house has been on the market for two months, it’s not going to be gone in a day”

I felt stupid after he said that, obviously he did his homework.

We found a café for lunch, later on. 

“I was hoping you would help me decorate when I get the house, I mean I don’t know how long it will take but we could already start shopping,” he told me while we were enjoying our sandwiches.

My eyes widen, shopping was one of my favorite things, “Yes, you will need sofas, end tables, a bed, bookshelves,” I continued to name things to furnish a house.

“Yeah, a TV too,” he told me.

“Well you can buy a TV, I’m bad with electronics,” I said while scrunching up my nose a bit.

“Ok, I will leave the electronics to me,” he laughed a bit.

This was going to be really good I can only image how it was going to turn out.

“So what are we doing the rest of the night?” I ask with a sexy tone to my voice, I slept over last night but Brian slept on the sofa in his hotel.  He’s almost too much of a gentleman.

“Well I got us reservations at a nice restaurant downtown and then we can catch a movie, sound good?”

“Yeah,” I said, I guess I can take it slow.  Probably better that way.

Over the next couple weeks I spent every weekend with Brian, shopping for his house.  He bought the house; it was actually a quick closing process he told me. 

He was able to move in the first week of September.  Katy and Jack also came to help. 

“You got a lot of stuff already,” Katy said to us.

“Well yeah, we went shopping. This is a big house, lots of space to fill,” I told her.

While Jack and Brian were helping the movers, Katy and I went to talk in the kitchen.

“So how is everything with Brian? You guys have been spending a lot of time together,” Katy asked me when we were alone. 

“Oh great, Brian is so nice, you should have set me up with him ages ago,” I told her.  I could have avoided five years of pain.

“Ha, well he lived in Seattle. Honestly I was surprised when he asked me for your number, but it works great, you guys both deserve someone,” she said.  I think she was a bit wary of us together.

“I know about time, you’re married and Quinn is going to be married soon, I tell you.”

“Well just take it slow, Brian doesn’t really date a lot so he’s different than other guys,” It’s cute that she was protective of her older cousin.

“Yeah we are,” but I don’t say anything more because he was her family, I can always call Quinn later.

It’s slow, but I’m about to pick up the pace by asking Brian to accompany me to Tyler’s wedding.  I need to know, I have to show up with a date.  Kyle is going to be the best man and I can’t stand to show up dateless with him there, watching me with his perfect blonde girlfriend.

So, Brian cooked dinner for us in his new house after Katy and Jack finished help moving and left for Salem.  We were sitting down in his new dining table that I had picked out.  There were candles lit up on the table as well. It looked lovely.

“This looks great,” I told him, smiling at him.

“Thanks,” he replied back.

Before he even started eating, I blurted out, “So do you want to go to a wedding with me?”

“Uh,” he said looking at me for more explanation.

“Oh sorry, it’s Tyler’s; Quinn’s brother's, it’s in Phoenix because Tyler’s fiancé’s family lives there. Oh it’s on November 15th, I know it’s in like two months but I have to RSVP soon and make plans to go and..” I rambled a bit.

“Of course I’ll come, Ruby. I’ll have to ask for Friday before off right?” he questioned me.

“Yeah I figured we can fly down on Friday then leave Sunday, we won’t have to miss too much work,” I had already planned it out. 

“Sounds great, I can spend more time with Quinn, I know you guys are really close,” He said, so he listens, well I talk about Quinn a lot.  I occasionally mentioned her boyfriend Brandon, the NFL football player.  Though after the first couple of times of mentioning him I realized I should stop with the talk.  I didn’t want him to think I was comparing the two.

I guess things are going good….