Chapter 9: A date?

Chapter 9: A date?

The day after the wedding, I got to spend the day with Quinn before she left late that night.  We talked with her mom about Tyler’s wedding, apparently they were thinking of doing in Arizona because that is where all of Riley’s family are.

The summer was in full force by late July, my job and boyfriend situation was miserable.  I considered asking Katy for Brian’s number but if he liked me he could call or Facebook me I figured.  Yeah, I looked him up on Facebook.  He was really nice and not the normal player guys I usually dated; unsuccessfully, by the way.

It was Friday, Nicki just walked in and she was asking me if I wanted to join her at the bar.

“Not really,” I told her.

“But you haven’t been there like in a month” She exclaimed.

“Have there been any new guys there?” I asked her

“Not really but you haven’t even met Patrick yet,” Patrick was Nicki’s new boyfriend, like I said before, she works fast.

“Okay I guess so does Patrick have any cute single guy friends?” I already asked her that but I figured I’d try again.  He could have made a new friend.

“Like I said all his friends are married.” Patrick was older, well 28.  I was kind of worried that Nicki was dating a guy who only had married friends and Nicki never seemed like she wanted to get married.

“Okay I’ll meet him, but I don’t want to stay out too late and no set ups,” Around The Fourth of July I met her at the bar and she had this completely drunk guy she said she was setting me up with, it was completely horrible.

“Fine, well I got a lot of work to do but bring me a bagel when Larry gets in,” Nicki said and went off to his office.

Soon enough Larry in a good mood walked in the office, “Hey how was your week?”  He asked me.

“Oh horrible,” I told him which was the usual answer.

“Aw well cheer up, it couldn’t have been that bad,” he said to me.

“Ok well it wasn’t that bad, but the same as every week, I kind of feel stuck.”

“Well get unstuck”

“I don’t know how to,” I told him.

“Well, can’t help you there, but I do have a question for you, our receptionist’s granddaughter is starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks and she wants the afternoon’s off to watch her so I was thinking if you’re up to it, you could work 2pm to 6pm since you get off here at 1pm, I can have one of the guys cover it till then, I’m thinking $20 an hour and discount on car work,” Larry said, and I thought $20 an hour for a part time receptionist job was really good, he must be only offering that because it’s me.

“Are you serious, that would be awesome maybe I could finally move out,” I said to him.

“Figured you would be interested, I wanted to ask you before I posted the job, I’ll start you August 8th, give Jeanne a week to train you.” Larry said smiling at me.

So, I went to tell Nicki the good news, “So, you going to run into Grant then,” She said.

I blushed a bit, I told Nicki all about my run in with Larry’s step-son, “No, he left or something but whatever, $20 an hour I can’t complain.”

I was in a better mood the rest of the morning, when I finished work.  I checked my phone and I noticed I had a voice mail, which was strange because no one ever leaves me voicemails they just send me a text message.