Chapter 17

During her academic years, T'Dal had attended Uhura and Scotty's marriage, as well as that of her father Spock to Jim, so T'Dal assumed Kirk's human surname when the adoption request was accepted and answered that surname by the teachers.

Shortly before he turned twenty, T'Dal had officially completed her cycle of studies, taking his diploma and assuming the rank of ensign; being assigned to USS Freedom under the command of Captain Margaret Sinclair-Alexander, who had asked for her directly.

In 2282 at the age of twenty-two, T'Dal received a direct promotion to Lieutenant and her ranks were given to her by the captain himself, thereby skipping the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade. Some bad-mouthed people claimed that Admiral Kirk had given to his daughter a career boost himself, but that questionnastiness was quickly silenced: anyone who knew Captain Sinclair-Alexander knew she was a tough nut to crack and had found it necessary to raise the rank of an ensign in his service for three years he certainly had her good motives.

After rising up in ranks, that evening T'Dal decided to talk about it in the video call with Pavel, sitting behind her desk in the bedroom at the end of the shift. T'Dal was secretly proud of him, as Pavel was proud of her.

The relationship between T'Dal and Pavel Chekov had never stopped since that day of the dance at the academy: the two had become close well before the Vulcan's eighteen, but had made it official only after her nineteen years of age; they had been talking about marriage for months, only to decide to celebrate as soon as possible.

The telepathic bond between Pavel and T'Dal had been created during the period in the academy, after their sexual relations and for T'Dal it was difficult to explain it to Pavel, but the simplest explanation was that they would share feelings, thoughts and even images.

«I thought it only happened among Vulcans? You told me that normally you are telepathically linked to another child, at the age of seven, eight years old.» Pavel asked, looking at her, confused.

«It is not a rule, but it can happen that when an unmarried male and female have sexual intercourse; it is possible that the Vulcan will form a telepathic bond as a result, no matter if the male or female being of another species or another Vulcan.»

One afternoon before Pavel was due to take office for Reliant, they were caught red-handed by McCoy, who had seen Pavel come out of T'Dal's academic room, brushing his lips with her. They were both visibly disheveled and hot.

«You damned green-blooded goblin, when were you thinking of telling me?» McCoy asked when T'Dal ushered her into his room before changing.

«Tell you what?»

«You know what I'm talking about.»

«It's not about pon farr uncle, I'm fine and as you have seen Pavel is fine too»

«Should it make me feel better?»

«I believe so.»

«It doesn't make me feel any better.» the man admitted.

«What about your parents...?»

«I think they know, yes. I'm not going to openly tell either of them actually. Pavel and I are both attentive and responsible; then I don't think Dad Jim was a saint in the academic period.» T'Dal said resolutely and the man smiled.

«Actually he was not a saint. Your secret is safe with me, but you have to pay me for my silence.»

T'Dal, who knew his uncle's tastes, decided to offer him a mint julep at the cafeteria of the academy, the one "for adults"; or a cocktail originally from the South of the United States based on mint and Bourbon-type whiskey, served with plenty of crushed ice and she took a spicy Vulcan tea.