9.

Much later that night, Bella was at the school, in the swimming pool, in her mermaid form

She had left the Hale house when Derek and Peter did, only she went home, while they went to the school to talk to Scott about a shot at saving Jackson.

Bella had went home, but was completely restless and desired to go swimming, so she came to the school, long after the pack had left to deal with the Kanima.

She was currently at the edge of the pool, leaning against the wall with her eyes closed as she softly hummed a tune.

"I've waited for so long.
Put up with your shenanigans.
I'm going to take you on.
And you won't know the half of it.
I'm gonna put you in your place.
You've got the queen, I've got the ace.
I'll light you up and smoke you down.
And watch the rings go round and round.
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
This is war, whoa.
War, whoa.
Whoa"

She was brought out of her own world by light clapping and opened her eyes, seeing Derek standing at the door with an impressed smile.
"I'll never get used to that" He says, walking around the pool to get to her.

Bella smiled and turned herself around to face him.
"How'd it go?" She asks him as he crouches down, in front of her.
"Good news: Jackson's no longer the Kanima, but he is a werewolf now. Bad news: Gerard got away" He tells her, honestly.
"Well, better than nothing" She shrugs.
"I guess, but not everything went to plan" Derek says, sighing.
"And what exactly was the plan? No, let me rephrase that. What exactly was your plan?" She questions him.

Derek hesitates, knowing she'll be mad at him.
"I didn't have a lot of faith in being able to save Jackson" He confesses, making her scoff and roll her eyes.
"So, you stuck with your original plan to kill him" Bella states, disappointed that Derek still wasn't listening.
"It was too much of a risk, Bella. He was almost too far gone, to the point we wouldn't be able to save him anyway" Derek tells her, defending his actions.
"Because you didn't try. This whole time, you haven't bothered to try. That killing him was the only option. You say you wanted to fix a mistake, when really you were running from the responsibility you had over him" Bella argues.
"I know and I'm sorry. You were right that some can be saved" Derek backs down, knowing he was in the wrong and wanted Bella's forgiveness.

 You were right that some can be saved" Derek backs down, knowing he was in the wrong and wanted Bella's forgiveness