Chapter 18: How It Started

*rrriinngg*

"It's finally lunch time! Let's go Yuanying!" Winter called out as soon as our teacher walked out.

"O-oh? Sure!" I answered as I immediately stood up, following her and three of my other friends out in the hallway.

"Thank God, I was saved by the bell!" She said as we all walked together.

"Right. It was such a perfect timing ㅋㅋㅋ"

"But the teacher said he will ask you again regarding that next class"

"No need to worry though. We have Yuanying here ㅎㅎㅎ"

"Ah right! Yuanying, what was the answer to seonsaengnim's question earlier?" Winter asked.

If you are wondering why they asked me, I did quite well in academics. Not that I am intelligent. I am just a hard worker. Often times, people tell me that I do I easily get it right. Or why can I easily understand. But what they do not know is that I also exert quite a lot of time and effort in studying since i am not that intelligent. For my first ever official and actual school, I want to do everything right.

"Oh, it was 3,358" I responded.

"Heol, that many islands? I did not know our country is that big"

"Geuronnikka. In the map it looks too small though"

They continued to chat and laugh as we make our way to the cafeteria and I just played along with them. I was homeschooled back then. So I did not really know exactly how should I approach people. But luckily, I was immediately able to make some friends. I have always been thankful to them that is why I also try to so my best for them.

"Oh? Isn't that Park Sunghoon?"

Winter noticed Park Sunghoon at a nearby park with his friends. Although all of them were tall and good-looking, Sunghoon still stood out the most out of them. Maybe it was because of his perfect physic. Or maybe because of the oozing charisma that he emits. I am not really sure as I don't care that much about him. But he is impressively popular in our school that even most of the professors applaud him for his looks. Not only that, he is very talented too.

"Omo omo! He is so handsome!"

"Yah! What's the update? Does he have a girlfriend?"

"From what I heard, he still has no girlfriend yet"

"Eyy, hokshi, are you planning on confessing to him? You all know he is not fond of that kind of thing" Winter reminded them.

I don't know much about the school as I am relatively new. But I did hear that Sunghoon has never accepted any confessions. He is most often seen dumping all if teh love letters in the trash. Or if there were bold students who would confess upfront to him, he would not even dare listen and just walks away. Or tell them an immediate answer: NO.

Sometimes, it gets to a point where some of the boys despise him. Or those of the girls whom he rejected hate him as well. But no one can ever really do about it. He comes from a very solid background that no one ever dares to challenge him. So they can only watch as girls continue to try their best in confessing. Although, honestly speaking, getting your confession accepted does not seem possible.

"Ahh.. right.. so are we waiting until he finds someone that he likes?"

"But what if that someone rejects him? We still have a chance right?"

"Ya, are you crazy? Who in the right mind would reject someone like Park Sunghoon!"

"Maja. Everyone in school would definitely despise that girl. For being too full of herself. Moreover, Sunghoon is too perfect to reject" Winter agreed.

"What do you think, Yuanying?" One of our friend asked.

"M-me? Well.." I was caught off guard a bit. I did not know how to answer her question as I was not particularly interested in Sunghoon.

Oh no.. what should I do..? I am not into him though..

"Oh? It's Karina!"

"Where?!"

As I was pk seeing on what to answer, heavens seems to be at my side. I was lucky enough to be saved by one of our friends who spotted Karina not far away. She was approaching Sunghoon.

"At this point, doesn't Karina have more of teh chance getting together with Sunghoon?"

"Right. Their family are close and they grew up together"

"For me, I don't know. She looks too desperate to be with Sunghoon. Sunghoon doesn't even spare a glance at her" Winter said.

"Oh.. you're right. I just noticed it now pft-"

"Doesn't she look a bit pathetic?"

"Maja ㅋㅋㅋㅋ"

But as we were chatting, Karina seemed to have noticed that we are talking about her. She sent us death glares which made us startled.

"Y-ya ya let's go!"

"The black cat noticed us it seems"

"Pft- ya! Stop joking around"

With that, I just followed them. I took a glance again at Karina and Sunghoon who was talking by the open courtyard. But as I landed my eyes on them, mine and Sunghoon's eyes met.

For some reason, I felt that I shouldn't stare at them any longer. So I just proceeded to walk away like nothing happened.

----- at the gym -----

It was already time for our gym class. We changed to our gym clothes and went to the open court for our PE class. Our lesson was all about volleyball. So right after our few sessions, we conducted mini contest. I am not that athletic, nor do I like exercising. So I decided to not play and just watch the others.

"Are you sure you are not joining Yuanying? Who knows this might be the time to attract other students!" Winter said jokingly.

"I'd want to play with you all but you know my body is weak" I said regretfully.

"Hah.. arraseooo, then just enjoy watching us" Winter smiled cheerfully as she went to the others to play. I just nodded in response as I see her go away.

I still don't feel that comfortable with everything that has been happening to me ever since I entered this school. Because back then, I used to have no one. I was always cooped up in my room because I was weak.

Thankfully, I became stronger now and my parents allowed me to go to an actual school. I have always wondered how it feels to have friends. So this is how it feels like. I suddenly thought that I wouldn't want to let go if this feeling.

But having to do this every PE class, I came to a point that I feel bored. I stood up and asked permission to our teacher for a bathroom break. After having her acknowledgement, I proceeded to walk away.

Well, in all honesty, I just want to get some fresh air and have a change of environment. Moreover, the longer I stayed there, the more envious I get of those who are able to play! Hmph..

But as I was walking along the path, a ball suddenly hit my foot.

"Oh..?" I got startled a bit from that. But upon seeing that it was just a ball, I immediately crouched down to pick it up. Right then, I remembered there was a nearby gym around here. I thought that it must have come from there. Maybe there is another class taking their PE Subject as well.

Hmm..? I wonder which class-

"Sorry for that"

As I was thinking, a could hear a cold voice coming from behind. It sent shivers right up my spine so I quickly stood up before turning to look at the person who spoke.

"Is this your-" I was about to ask. But as I landed my eyes on that person, I realized that the owner of that voice was actually Sunghoon.

It was the first time our eyes met this close. It was the first time I got to hear his voice. It was the first time I got to speak to him. It was the first time... I felt that strange feeling. What kind of feeling is this?